Door & Window Seals for a 1980 510 / A10 Coupe

Hello! I live in quite a dry climate, and my car has always lived outside any sort of garage or overhang, so the rubber for the doors and windows is shot. I will be amazed if anyone can find rubber for my exact model, so the easier question is does anyone know of any good "universal" rubber I could buy for my car? While I'm in the body / interior section too, my whole dashboard is shot, so crazy question, has anyone ever swapped the complete dashboard out of a 720 into a 510 (or really any late 70s / 80s datsun), those dash's seem easy(er) to find. Thank you!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Datsport in the past and their seals seem to hold up well (however, my cars are generally stored inside). It seems they have changed their website since I last purchased from them (2020 maybe). There are some other sources out there, but they do not come to mind. I have no doubt another member will chime in on this thread soon.

Good to see another New Mexican on this site.

So for actually door seal to the body, forget trying to find NEW OEM style seal that mounts on the door (I think my assumption of the LATE 510 having the seal ON the door??).  Heck, maybe they are available in repop from Asia....??!!  Go online & buy universal fit cut to length door jamb "welting" (you should also have this, but remove yours) that has a soft rubber "bulb seal" attached to it.  You might find two bulb seal sizes...........buy the larger.  This welting WITH bulb seal will replace both your OEM seal on the door & your OEM welting on the body.  It can get a little tricky at the bottom of the door jamb, cuz most cars have a "sill plate" aka a "scuff plate"............you can't use the welting with bulb seal across the bottom, if you want to retain your sill plate.............or use your imagination & modify to use both..........??

You should have a stainless steel (or blacked out??) door waist trim with outer "glass scraper" seal (aka window beltline seal).  This is the trim piece at the top of the door skin  You can buy that "outer window scraper seal" from rubbertherightway.com part #10-205x.  Pretty sure you want qty 1 PAIR........my invoice shows qty 1, I got a pair.  Installing is straight forward, just monotonous, messing around with drilling & using staples to attach.  I have heard of people using rivets, but most rivets stick out the backside & might interfere with re-installing the trim back on the door.

If your late 510 has an inner window scraper (fuzzy seal), those too should also be available universal fit, maybe from rubbertherightway.............I've never looked!  The 68-73 510 has a rubber inner seal, that is repop'd by Vintage Rubber.  The 240Z has the fuzzy seal.

If you are also looking for front windshield & rear glass seals, that will be tricky (I assume long discontinued NLA NLS from Nissan??).  All of these seals were one piece moulded rubber to fit the particular car, most with complicated "corners" moulded to fit.  Worst case scenario, you could potentially buy maybe a couple of the 1968-1973 510 seals, cut to fit your later 510 & glue together in place with black RTV or an actual glass sealant product (sorry, wouldn't know WHAT sealant to use).  Hopefully the "corners" are similar shape..........??

Good luck on a dash!  Swapping in another model dash will likely be a BIG project, with LOTS of cutting fitting modifying, but I have seen it done in other cars!

Hope some of this helps!