Trouble starting / engine cuts out with choke

Matt H

I'm noticing the truck has been having trouble starting these last few days. It usually takes a bit to get it going but recently as soon as I try to pump the gas or use the choke the engine dies. It makes it quite difficult to get it running from a cold start... Weirdly after a many attempts the choke finally kicks in and takes hold but until that point the slightest bit of gas or choke with immediately kill the engine. I'm not sure if this is related but the car has also been intermittently stuttering in first gear a few times when I try to pull away. Almost like it misfires or looses power for a split second. I have to double tap the gas peddle or over rev the car to pull away smoothly. I noticed one of the ignition leads was loose but after securing it - its still doing the same thing. 

Any thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To properly start a manual choke engine when cold....

1/ Depress the gas pedal once or twice depending on how cold it is and what works best in the past and hold.

2/ Pull the choke lever out. The amount is determined by what was used in the recent past and how cold it is. If a lot colder than usual perhaps slightly more choke is used.

3/ Release gas pedal. Choke and fast idle are now set.

4/ Start engine.

Engine should start are rev up to around 1,800 or so. If not then the cam is stuck.

• Like 1

Hey @datzenmike The truck has never been able to start in this way. I have to continuously pump the gas pedal to get it started and it takes at least 3-4 attempts before it eventually continues to run. That said something has definitely changed after I flushed the radiator. Not entirely sure whats different other getting coolant over the alternator but recently pressing the gas and increasing the choke kills the engine when trying to start - it also fails to start or stay running without doing both those things so its a bit of a catch 22. To my ears it also sounds a little airy when it's running. Do you think it could be blocked fuel lines or something or are you pretty sure its a stuck cam?

I should mention that after its been running for a while it will then start up right away. The only other thing i've noticed recently is its sometimes stutters in 1st like its misfired or loses power intermittently 

Edited by Matt H

I think it might of been as simple as the spark plug wire cables having a poor connection. They all have removable terminals and 3 of them had come loose. It also seems to have fixed the hesitation from idle. Fingers crossed everything is running pretty smoothly right now. Lets hope I don't jinx it!

• Like 1
On 10/26/2022 at 7:29 PM, datzenmike said:

To properly start a manual choke engine when cold....

1/ Depress the gas pedal once or twice depending on how cold it is and what works best in the past and hold.

2/ Pull the choke lever out. The amount is determined by what was used in the recent past and how cold it is. If a lot colder than usual perhaps slightly more choke is used.

3/ Release gas pedal. Choke and fast idle are now set.

4/ Start engine.

Engine should start are rev up to around 1,800 or so. If not then the cam is stuck.

To clarify, this is how a manual choke engine should be started every time when it's cold? (like Van Island cold right now, between 5-8C in the morning) I've been having lots of cold start issues recently and just leaving it plugged in all the time to avoid dealing with it