1985 nissan 720 4x4 Stereo Replacement

Thomas Perkins

Yep,the time has come for a new stereo.I put my Kenwood stereo and Pioneer speakers in 2000.I am also going to replace the antenna and wiring to it.It has rocked me good.This time I am going to let a stereo shop do it.Price is no object.I want the best with a C.D. player.I have over 100 of them.I might go by there Saturday and let them see my dash where it goes into and ideas of new speakers.The stereo is the type where you can take the face plate off,that was the thing back in 2000.So no one can steal it.I never took it off.I will let them design it for me.When I bought the truck in 94,the guy was the manager of Radio shack here and had a Radio shack cassette player in it.It was a Optimus.Here is a picture of it,he also had a radio shack alarm in it,they were popular back then.I took it out real quick.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Price is no object.

I hope not because custom audio shops are typically very expensive for something that is really easy to do with a little research. They will also likely upsell you on whatever brand/models they prefer and it could be much better than what you need. The average person won't care about or even barely be able to tell the difference in high end car audio and decent car audio. Especially since it's being installed in a 720 lol.

Of course that's easy for me to say because I have a lot of experience doing that when I was in my 20s but still, it's not difficult. I used to really enjoy doing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, powderfinger said:

I hope not because custom audio shops are typically very expensive for something that is really easy to do with a little research. They will also likely upsell you on whatever brand/models they prefer and it could be much better than what you need. The average person won't care about or even barely be able to tell the difference in high end car audio and decent car audio. Especially since it's being installed in a 720 lol.

Of course that's easy for me to say because I have a lot of experience doing that when I was in my 20s but still, it's not difficult. I used to really enjoy doing it.

I am a pro at installing stereo's,I was doing it to my first vehicle in 1975, At the age of 15.A 69 Chevelle,we had 8 tracks back then.I bought Dark Side Of the Moon so many times cause it would eat the tape.We also would connect our stereo to the lights 20 amp fuse,so we could sit at the drive in theater and party and not have to leave the keys in the ignition.I am going to get a stereo so I can use my phone with it.Also if a fuse would burn up,we would take the aluminum foil out of a Marlboro pack and wrap the fuse to make it work.Do you remember those old style fuses.Also the end piece on my antenna is messed up.I am going to get a complete new antenna.I have the funds to get a complete system installed with speakers and whatever to make it one and done.With the new tech,I want to have a kick ass system.I am very old school and will need a high tech installer to make it happen.I know,they will have a mark up.I don't know anything about the new ways and what will sound the best.I went all out on my paint job and tires and rims.

• Like 1

In the small 720 king cabs the center vent is not necessary.  I live in Phoenix and when it hits 125 degrees Fahrenheit the center duct is helpfull and in Georgia's humidity the center vent is probably very much appreciated. nis720 I believe lived in LA.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working boat loads of over time cause we are very short on workers,they even bumped up pay.So If I am off this coming Saturday.I am going to get a new complete top of the line new stereo and speakers and what ever it takes to make Pink Floyd come alive more...My system is 22 years old.It's only money.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Today,I went to the best stereo shop here.I am getting a new Kenwood KDC-BT782HD with Sirius XM sxv 300VI tuner and 4 speakers.Plus the antenna cable will be replaced.The Stereo in there now is a Kenwood,the kind you can take the face plate off.It was a good one I bought in 2000 from Circuit City which is no longer around.I usually put them in my self.But not this time.The kenwood has a blue tooth.Amazon Alexa  voice control.I am going to drop off my 720 in the morning,he said it will take a couple of hours to do but depends how many is in front of me.Here's a link to the features..Guess how much.I will tell ya'll after I get it back.He has everything in stock....https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VtQFUhlMVDJ/p_113BT782HD/Kenwood-KDC-BT782HD.html?XVINQ=GM0&XVVer=13KF&awcr=625534849820&awdv=c&awnw=g&awug=9011420&awkw=kwd-1912937671672&awmt=p&awat=&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQltvUG4YBDc4pm4rUTbSxGsTyl72Ap_-bgHsQJ-bhNc_-YphCBY2moyRoCCgcQAvD_BwE

g113BT782HD-F.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Hi Ya'll.This morning I dropped my 720 off at the Stereo shop at 9:10 am and at 11:30 they called and said it was ready.I went and paid and the installer paired up my phone to it.You can pair 5 phones to it.This coming weekend I am going to take my wife's 2004 Lincoln LS there and get her a blue tooth stereo too.Nothing is wrong with her's,just want her to have a hand's free too.This new Kenwood is Awesome.I would get one if I was ya'll.It tells you on the radio station the band playing and name of song.You can change the display color,has Alexa.The price was Awesome.I am going to get Sirius/xm  service since I had the tuner installed.The antenna wire was completely cut.I guess Jack did it when he put the new Heating and Air in it,I was not getting a good reception,So he put a new antenna cable in.I gave the installer a 20 dollar tip.Plus the stereo that was in it was not secured,it would move around.The installer put clips in it to secure.They are the best.In my book's,money we'll spent.I have been working mega overtime and it was worth it.Here are some pics of it and the old system.The old system works,but I wanted to up grade.Does anyone want my old system dirt cheap,You have to get boxes for the 6x9 pioneer's,I am using the old boxes.Just place a cheap bid and pay for shipping...As you see on the new system to the right and another plug in.,it has a place to charge up my phone.I have a Galaxy Android S21 Ultra phone with Verizon service.Check out the colors you can make the display,red1,red2,,red3.purple1,purple2,purple3,purple4,blue1,blue2,blue3,skyblue1,skyblue2/light blue,aqua1,aqua2,green1,green2,green3,yellow,green1,yellow green 2,orange1,orange2,orange,red.Wow so cool,I will start out with blue...Here is the microphone that is installed for the phone.NrPLBt2.jpgn3xWWdQ.jpg

101_0146.jpg

101_0154.jpg

101_0160.jpg

101_0147.jpg

101_0150.jpg

101_0134.jpg

101_0133.jpg

101_0140.jpg

101_0127.jpg

101_0166.jpg

101_0167.jpg

101_0168.jpg

101_0169.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow,This Kenwood stereo is bad to the bone at a super great price.The blue tooth is Awesome.When someone calls,the music stops and the stereo except the center turns green.Push the phone icon and answer.If someone else calls,you can push the phone icon and put the first person on hold.To make a call,just push the phone icon and the last person you talked with appears,turn the volume dial and you can scroll thru your phone contact list or you can push the volume dial again to manually dial a number or you can Ask Alexa to call for you.I watched a you tube video on my stereo and checked out the manual on line.It has so many features,am still learning them.Has a built in EQ that you can adjust.I changed the color on the screen today from Blue to Aqua.Has Pandora,Spotify.and other stuff.Stereo's are real cheap priced now...Ican charge my phone from it..Tell it to play the wall,and Trump's picture show's up.lol...2024,he will be back...

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Today.it was cold out side so I went and found the 73 page manual for my Kendood KDC-X704 stereo and got educated more on it.Wow,it has so many features.Just have to keep using to learn them.Today,I was reading on the Amazon Alexa and the Spotify part.You have to go to your google play store and find it and open a account,On the Amazon Alexa you have to do the same,set you up a account.Then when you want to use it,you go to your account and plug in the phone,stereo cable to the stereo and go to the stereo and find the Alexa and Spotify source and turn it on.That's how them 2 work.Pandora will be next.I will have to set up a account and pay for the XM-Sirrus station.You a have bunch of settings for the bass and everything else.Has a zillion functions.Just like that phone I have.I had my phone sitting in the center of my steering wheel one day at lunch break talking to my wife and the sun was coming thru the window onto my phone and it said my phone was too hot,Had to move my phone.Watch this Kenwood stereo video on my stereo.