Nikki Carb Mystery

Hello,  

I rebuilt my nikki carb and finally got all the circuits working, but no matter what I do I can't get the accelerator pump working

I modified the orignial with a rubber boot, which didn't quite fit.

I then located a NOS plunger unit from a later model, which I swapped out the original shaft and spring from.  It was as correct as anything gets.... still doesn't work.

Nothing is clogged and if i pull the top and plunge more, it sprays. 

Not sure what is going on

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the mechanical part is operating as it should and the piston fits the bore, the pump part of the circuit should be OK. Locate the one way valve downstream of the accelerator pump. Should be a little steel ball with a spring. Be sure the ball is freely moving and not hindered from seating or clogged by debris.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, difrangia said:

If the mechanical part is operating as it should and the piston fits the bore, the pump part of the circuit should be OK. Locate the one way valve downstream of the accelerator pump. Should be a little steel ball with a spring. Be sure the ball is freely moving and not hindered from seating or clogged by debris.

I think we found the issue.  The check valve in the float bowl was stuck.  

Another issue we discovered was that the new accerator pump had a inset end, meaning that it wouldn't depress the power jet.   I am going to have to modify  it.

I think that It will be fine now.  tested it after we freed the check valve and everything seemed fine.

12 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was gonna say.

Luckily you found the stuck check valve.

So now it still doesn’t work. 

I pulled the check valve again and it seems to work. Not sure if there are “levels” of working. 

It appears that the pump works with a greater stroke, but the minimal stroke doesn’t seem to do what it needs to do. 

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

Edited by 22350

Couldn't tell much from the short vid. I'm assuming that you are getting a sluggish/delayed acceleration. When you look down in the carb throat, are you getting a squirt or spray from the accelerator pump ? If so, have you checked the vacumn advance on the distributor to insure that it is working ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, difrangia said:

Couldn't tell much from the short vid. I'm assuming that you are getting a sluggish/delayed acceleration. When you look down in the carb throat, are you getting a squirt or spray from the accelerator pump ? If so, have you checked the vacumn advance on the distributor to insure that it is working ?

The squirt is a dribble

There are two check ball valves. One on the inlet from the fuel bowl that closes on the down stroke to prevent gas being pushed back into the bowl and one on the discharge to prevent air being sucked back in on the up stroke. Basically one way valves that only allow gas to move from fuel bowl to pump and from pump to the discharge.

I don't know about the Nikki carburetor but the L series Hitachi has a designed leak back into the fuel bowl. At driving speeds where throttle input is slower and shorter, the pump pushes it back into the bowl as it's not needed by the engine at speed and is wasteful of gas. Any sudden or full stroke of the pump overcomes this 'leak' and the excess pressure goes out the discharge nozzle. 

• Like 3