Running hot

clcla4

81 datsun 210 wagon 1.5 ltr. I just changed a radiator hose, radiator cap and the thermostast  I was running hot.  Now I have good circulation and car see.s to keep cool fine at idle  you get it on the highway it starts to run hot.  Let it sit for 30 minutes about 180 degrees all day  what could I be possibly missing.  

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't the upper or lower radiator  hose although it was next to it.  The needle runs center left on the regular. While idling it resided ther 45 min Rock solid.  Took it up to 30 45 miles an hour it starts creeping up til it gets hot  had mechanic check flow  after thermostat was installed its opening up like it should and circulating.  Could it be a weak fan. Not cooling or maybe a weak water pump

I mean where does the needle go to.

3/4s or right up to the top of the 'run range'? Borrow an IR (infra red) gun and 'shoot' the thermostat housing while it is 'over heated' and see if it really is too hot or the gauge is simply wrong.

Need answers to these questions...

1/ Is the lower radiator return hose soft and squishy? Is it swollen around the hose clamp??

2/ Spin the plastic fan with your fingers hard. Does it keep spinning or stop immediately after you let go?

3/  Is the fan belt in good shape? Is it properly tight? Push down on the belt half way between the alternator and the fan pulley. It should deflect 0.5 inch. About the thickness of the belt.

4/ Are the outside fins on the radiator blocked with mud, debris, plastic bag or wrappers, or bugs? Hold a light inside and look in from the from the front.

5/  Is the plastic shroud around the fan still there or missing?

6/  Drain the rad enough to expose the tops of the vertical tubes as seen through the open rad cap. Are there any crusty deposits showing? are the tubes blocked by hard water scale?

7/ Is your heater connected? or does it have a leak and the two hoses joined together to go around it???

a weak water pump is one which has no vanes in it.

once you get rolling the fan really isnt needed. the car movement I think would be enough.

Fan is more for when slow or sitting in traffic.

the stat usually barely opens and lets just enough water in for the rad to cool it then lets it out.

you coul run it with out a stat and saee if it still climbs up.

but I would time the motor first . this is ez and cheap.

I cheat and drill a 1/8 hole in my stat. But Im not a A motor expert. try a another radiator cap. I use the flip up ones(im just guessing now

Edited by banzai510(hainz)