Looking for con rod L16 from ARP 102-6001

Labubre

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Just plugging in that part number came up with 5 different sights but I poked around on them and ya they seem to be out of stock at most places....

The Amazon link seems good, 1 set left... I also saw them available through Jegs...

checking with Jegs as i found many listing not up to date... thanks!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Labubre said:

checking with Jegs as i found many listing not up to date... thanks!

That happens with these old vehicles... I have ordered plenty of parts to just get an email saying it wasnt actually available....

Was that a stock bolt?

I'd consider that a blessing it did it before you ran the motor.... 

1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

That happens with these old vehicles... I have ordered plenty of parts to just get an email saying it wasnt actually available....

Was that a stock bolt?

I'd consider that a blessing it did it before you ran the motor.... 

it happened during engine reassembly! 

'70 and into early '71 240z cars used the same 8mm L16 bolts, later changed to 9mm. You would have to buy 6 pair to get your 4.

L16 .... 12109-21000.... 8mm

L24.... 12109-21000.... 8mm

https://arpstore.com/collections/nissan-datsun/products/hi-perf-8740-complete-rod-bolt-kit-for-nissan-datsun-l24-series-early-inline-6-m8

• Like 1

ConRod.jpg

The bottom bolt threads are narrower!!!!! It's stretched!!!! from over torquing. I have 23-27 ft. lbs (3.2-3.8 Kg / m) tightening torque. Does that agree with your information? If yes have your torque wrench calibrated. If its over tightening, all the bolts will be stretched way past their yield point.

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I made a call to ARP a few weeks ago to check on the stock of another part (some super long 10mm studs for a custom project) and they said most things will be in stock by late September. Begs the question - why all at once?

Container shipping

• Like 1
On 9/12/2022 at 6:50 PM, datzenmike said:

'70 and into early '71 240z cars used the same 8mm L16 bolts, later changed to 9mm. You would have to buy 6 pair to get your 4.

L16 .... 12109-21000.... 8mm

L24.... 12109-21000.... 8mm

https://arpstore.com/collections/nissan-datsun/products/hi-perf-8740-complete-rod-bolt-kit-for-nissan-datsun-l24-series-early-inline-6-m8

That's a very good info. Thanks Mike! For the tightening torque I will double check.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:09 PM, datzenmike said:

ConRod.jpg

The bottom bolt threads are narrower!!!!! It's stretched!!!! from over torquing. I have 23-27 ft. lbs (3.2-3.8 Kg / m) tightening torque. Does that agree with your information? If yes have your torque wrench calibrated. If its over tightening, all the bolts will be stretched way past their yield point.

Here's my source

Manuel-Datsun.jpg

4.5-5.5Kgm / 33-40lb-lb

Couple-Serrage-Bielle.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally ordered Through ARP.

Found the Nissan part code since then 12109-N0100

Bolt Connecting Rod (TOKAI). Bolt Connector Rod.

Part Number: 12109-N0100
Supersession(s): 11810-N0110; 11828-N0110; 12109-A3502; 12109-N0110; 12109N0100; 12112-N0100

Waiting...

https://parts.royalmotornissan.com/p/Bolt-Connecting-Rod-TOKAI-Bolt-Connector-Rod/89402579/12109-N0100.html

• Like 1

I just assumed that the 9mm bolt would not fit the earlier rods that took the 8mm bolt. 12109-N0100 is for all L series engines including the L20B which were 9mm. If that's the case them L20B bolts would be a nice stronger upgrade for the early 8mm bolts.

396/427/454 BBC rod bolts will also work but I think the rod holes need to be enlarged.

22 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No, the larger bolts will not fit the smaller rods. Drilling rods and caps should be done by a machinist as they are aligned perfectly by the rod bolt and any slight misalignment will cause bearing wear.

Agreed.  I think I had the rods resized also when I had this done to make certain of concentricity.