Has anyone tried one of these LSD’s for an H-190 rear end?

Drummerboy4as

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it. This is NOT an LSD at all. It's just a very stiff spring that crushes the side gears outward against the pinion case to provide friction to drive both wheels. The side gears were never intended for this and it's just metal against metal. If this was a good idea all car makers would be using it, they don't. Real Limited Slip is provided either by viscous fluid or spring loaded clutches and plates.

Traction Concepts I believe is the new name for the old Phantom Grip. New wine in old bottles. I'm assuming word got around about PG and they closed down until a new generation of gullible car owners came along.

Your '73 is never going to need an LSD. Don't worry about it

• Like 1

Yeah I dropped in a KA24DE and she’ll be back on the road soon. It was a 3 speed auto so I’m not 100% on what gearing was in the rear end but it struggled at freeway speed. 

Forgive my ignorance because I’m still trying to learn what we can and can’t use for the H-190 rear end. If I was to find a third member from a hardbody or pathfinder or something that used an h-190 and had an lsd could I swap that into my existing axle? Or would I need the whole rear end?

From reading some of your older posts it looks like the early D21 came with an lsd option that might be a direct swap? Or a newer D21 but that’s 2”ish wider per side. Then there’s a ford 9” and on and on down the rabbit hole 🤦🏻‍♂️

Automatic??? the '73 had a 4.625 ratio, the 4 speed was 4.375.

The '88 through '93 D21 Hardbody had an H-190 LSD option so look for the last year Z24i ('88) and the rest through '93 were KA24E engines. Only the 4 cylinder had the H-190. It, LSD, was a rare option and nothing on the truck will show it's there. However the rear of the 'bum' om the differential will have an orange stamp sized sticker that says " use only LSD oil" or just 'LSD'. Take a rag with you to the wrecking yard and don't get your hopes up.

vVS2R76.jpg  

I put a Toy front end on my '78. It appeared to stick out about 1" on each side. I assume the front and rear tread measurements would be the same on a Toyota, or very close. 

I bet there were at least two different axle widths on the 620. The disc brake trucks were very slightly different than the drum brake trucks.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The early 4x4 are 6 lug and the Datsun rims will fit. The 4x4 ratio is 4.10 and wider by about an inch per side.

Stock ratios are 4,10, but gears for Toyota diffs are cheap. A gearset for a 8" 79-95 Toyota diff is about $200, bearing kits - $100, Limited Slip - $450, lockers - $600 to $1000. Custom axle shafts and disc brake kits among the many other aftermarket parts for Toyota 8" axles.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I put a Toy front end on my '78. It appeared to stick out about 1" on each side. I assume the front and rear tread measurements would be the same on a Toyota, or very close. 

I bet there were at least two different axle widths on the 620. The disc brake trucks were very slightly different than the drum brake trucks.

Toyota front axles are always wider than their corresponding rear axles. 55" for the rear and 55.5" for the front on a '79 to '85 pickup/4Runner.