Where to Find OEM Bolt-Together Exhaust Parts for 1985 720 ?

720 Rocker

I found a new exhaust manifold and (front) downpipe for my '85 720, and the original CAT is still good.  But, I still need the intermediate pipe that goes from the CAT to upstream muffler pipe (truck is a long bed), and the muffler/pipe assembly to complete the system.  I know I can have the exhaust done at a local muffler shop, but I vastly prefer the original bolt-together system than patch-work cutting and welding.  The problem is, I can't find the aforementioned intermediate pipe and muffler/pipe assembly anywhere.  The BRExhaust / Bosal tail pipe/muffler assembly that I need has the part number BOS 283-903.  And, the BRExhaust / Bosal Intermediate Pipe part number is BOS 782-903.  Can't find them anywhere.... remember, it's a long bed, so needs the long intermediate pipe.  I tried emailing Bosal in Canada directly, but no response after a month, so far.  "Genuine Nissan Parts" websites show all the exhaust parts as "Discontinued."

Anyone know where I can get these parts? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, probably NLA at this point. But...

I have learned that if you really want customer service, you have to pick up the phone and make actual calls. It's a lot harder to ignore somebody when you are speaking with them.

Also, try calling an actual Nissan dealer. There are a few out there who don't mind looking up parts for older vehicles. There are even a couple dealers who may specialize in this. I used to use Vallejo Nissan (Vallejo, CA) for all my classic Datsun parts needs. If nothing else, you could give them a call to get the part numbers and/or have them search the country to see if anyone has those parts laying around. You probably won't find the parts on any website.

When I am trying to build an OEM looking exhaust system, I will cut the OEM flanges off the old tubes, machine them to get rid of the welds and tubing stuck int them, then re-use them on the new exhaust, with new donuts and new hardware. If you don't want to go this far, try sourcing new OEM style flanges from an exhaust supply or muffler shop. They don't have to be application specific. Any generic OEM type flange will get the job done. Same goes for hangers.

Not long ago,I got a new exhaust manifold and a new down pipe.My cat came apart and caused my head gasket to blow. It about totally blocked the exhaust flow.My exhaust manifold had a few pin holes in it and my down pipe was leaking too.So Jack replaced both of them and a new head gasket and we decided to not put another cat on it.He ran a pipe from the down pipe to the muffler and I found a hangar from Napa to to secure the pipe and muffler.Then a while back after that I needed a new muffler.I ordered a muffler/tail pipe assembly from Auto Zone and took it and had it put on.In Georgia,we don't have to have cats.Your not going to find a  intermediate pipe to go on your 720.If you do it will be 37 years old.If your able get rid of that cat and do what I did.I can care less trying to keep it all Nissan.I don't think Auto Zone has them muffler/tail pipe assemblies any more and they are hard to find.Muffler shops won't work on your 720 if it doesn't have a cat.But I did find one here and he put the muffler/tail pipe on for 60 bucks cash with no receipt.He also put a new pipe from the down pipe to the muffler.Look's real good.It is put on with clamps.No Welding.When I bought my 720,it had no cat on it.My dumb ass put one on it cause it needed a muffler and they said they couldn't put one on it unless it had a cat,And I let them put one on it and it blew my head gasket 11 years later.Runs better...Screw Biden ...I am going to fire up my grill and do some Porterhouse steaks and pollute some more.I have a brand new spare tire in my shed,just like the one's on my truck.I don't want rocks to chip it up. 2QIv6ZF.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for your quick and thorough replies.  You have pretty much confirmed what I already suspected, and have been experiencing for months now... these exhaust parts are simply not available / not readily found.  So, I have decided to take it to a local muffler shop I've used in the past with other vehicles.  I'm sure they can custom make the back part of the system to look original.  That's likely going to be the quickest / best solution at this point.  I will keep the CAT since there's nothing wrong with it and everything from the CAT forward to the head is already replaced (including manifold).  I will do as suggested and have them retain the bolt-on flange at the back side of the CAT.  I've used this truck for many years, and intend to use it for many more.  And, with the help of this forum, I think it that will be very possible.  Thanks again!

BTW, I now realize I will need to use an image hosting service to post pictures.  Will get that done, and add pictures for future posts.

• Like 1