81.5 720D Brake upgrade

SLO720

'83 and on 720s had the vented rotors/calipers. '78-'79 620 and '80-'82 720 calipers/rotors were solid and basically the same. Later '83 and on 720 can be retrofitted to the disc brake 620 and the early 720 with some swapping of parts. Even the D21 Hardbody rotors and calipers will fit. VG powered 2wd D21s have even more braking. wayno is proof you can't have too much braking.

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

'83 and on 720s had the vented rotors/calipers. '78-'79 620 and '80-'82 720 calipers/rotors were solid and basically the same. Later '83 and on 720 can be retrofitted to the disc brake 620 and the early 720 with some swapping of parts. Even the D21 Hardbody rotors and calipers will fit. VG powered 2wd D21s have even more braking. wayno is proof you can't have too much braking.

Thank you @datzenmike. To clarify, are you saying that the D21 rotors and calipers will fit my '82? Or only later '83 and on? 

@Finspopis your truck 2wd or 4x4?

The 2wd 80-82 trucks can be bolt on upgraded to later equipment, while early 4x4 are stuck with what they came with. The 83-86 2wd trucks have quite a bit of swappability as far as brake configurations and that's why I did mine. Plus no more hunting for parts. 

Beebani even used to make a kit to run 300zx 4 pot calipers on the later 2wd 720 trucks and non ball joint front 520/620 trucks

I believe Patrick smith upgraded his 81-82 4x4 to 4 pot Toyota calipers but that's about the only swap I can think of for them. 

Edited by SLO720
  • Like 1
On 8/1/2022 at 10:47 AM, SLO720 said:

@Finspopis your truck 2wd or 4x4?

The 2wd 80-82 trucks can be bolt on upgraded to later equipment, while early 4x4 are stuck with what they came with. The 83-86 2wd trucks have quite a bit of swappability as far as brake configurations and that's why I did mine. Plus no more hunting for parts. 

Beebani even used to make a kit to run 300zx 4 pot calipers on the later 2wd 720 trucks and non ball joint front 520/620 trucks

I believe Patrick smith upgraded his 81-82 4x4 to 4 pot Toyota calipers but that's about the only swap I can think of for them. 

It's 4x4. Looks like maybe I'm on the hunt for 'yota calipers.