Pertronix info please

1lo620

So I feel I fried my Pertronix ignition. Not sure how it happened. So I have decided to get a new Ignition and Pertronix coil. So I can by pass the ballist resistor. 

Can anyone tell me what coil I should get to run with Pertronix 1741.. And how to wire it up correct. I added a picture to show how it is hooked up now. 

This set up was working before I swapped out engines just recently. I had the truck running then it just shut off. Now no spark. Need help. Thanks

20220601_190248.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check for loose wire. Does it fire up while starting but quit when the key is released?

Pertronix use the stock coil and a ballast resistor. It only replaces the points nothing more. No need to replace the coil but if you get rid of the ballast you should get a coil with the same resistance as the old coil + ballast. If you use a coil with lower resistance the increased current will blow the Pertronix up sooner.

Coil resistance about 1.5 ohms + ballast resistance about 1.5 ohms = about 3 ohms.

Coil without external ballast about 3 ohms.

If you are replacing your Pertronix Ignitor I get the Ignitor II. It is far superior to the first generation. My first Datsun I had back in 97 I put an Ignitor I in it. It lasted less than a year then failed. Every car since then I have used the Ignitor II and have never had a failure.

Ignitor II part number would be 91741

With the Ignitor II they recommend removal of the ballast resistor. It is designed to take the full 12V.

https://pertronixbrands.com/products/pertronix-91741-ignitor-ii-adaptive-dwell-control-hitachi-4-cyl-datsun?variant=31797069086756

Check out the installation instructions.

Then the coil will have to handle twice the current if the ballast is removed*. It's going to get hot! In that case get an EI coil designed for 12v from a '79 620/S10 200sx/A10 or the '80 720. These all had matchbox EI distributors and matching coils. A coil from any Z series engine will also work.

*Says in the instructions: Pair with a Flame Thrower Canister Coil for optimal performance