Radiator 1980 l20b

Hey guys 

Long time no talk. Business has been super busy and haven't had time to lurk or post. 

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a new radiator? I popped a hose yesterday and I ahve brand new water pump, belts, fan, thermostat ( tested to ensure operational), and hoses ( changed after I popped the hose and drove home later that day and it still getting super hot). The only thing I can think of is the radiator is done. I flushed the radiator with CLR overnight a couple weeks ago so that's not the problem. 

I looked in the manual and can't find the specs for the radiator so wondering if anyone else with a l20b has bought a new radiator and can hook me up with a link

Also met a wild Datsun fanatic who is also on this site who works at napa. Thought it was cool as hell 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it using coolant? Does the exhaust steam? Does it smell like antifreeze?... all are indicative of a bad head gasket.

What is "super hot" where does the gauge read? exactly.

Can you borrow an IR (infra red) gun and shoot the thermostat housing when hot to confirm the gauge is reading correctly.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is it using coolant? Does the exhaust steam? Does it smell like antifreeze?... all are indicative of a bad head gasket.

What is "super hot" where does the gauge read? exactly.

Can you borrow an IR (infra red) gun and shoot the thermostat housing when hot to confirm the gauge is reading correctly.

Coolant level never drops and overflow stays the same. No bad smell of antifreeze, no milky oil, no white smoke coming out tailpipe (3xcept cold mornings when warming up) 

The gauge reads 1/16th below the line for "hot" and I got a buddy coming over tomorrow with the gun to confirm the temp gauge is reading correctly. 

Good so the problem is real.

Take the thermostat out and try. If runs cool the new thermostat is no good.... and that's the problem with a new part it's a totally unknown.

Shoot the radiator. A cold spot would indicate poor flow.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Good so the problem is real.

Take the thermostat out and try. If runs cool the new thermostat is no good.... and that's the problem with a new part it's a totally unknown.

Shoot the radiator. A cold spot would indicate poor flow.

I'll try that. I did test the new thermostat by putting it in water and warming up the water till I watched it open. 

The radiator I have the grilling is dented in a bunch. 

Without a thermometer you don't know how hot the water was. It might open at 210

It over heats while idling or when driving?

With engine off, spin the fan blade with your fingers. It should offer very firm resistance and stop as soon as your fingers leave it. It should not spin by itself.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Without a thermometer you don't know how hot the water was. It might open at 210

It over heats while idling or when driving?

With engine off, spin the fan blade with your fingers. It should offer very firm resistance and stop as soon as your fingers leave it. It should not spin by itself.

Only when driving. The temp gauge has always read pretty high but the day I popped the hose it went higher than normal. 

When we tested it I drove it around for about 35 minutes or so and it was about 80 outside when we used the gun to test the heat. 

When I move th3 fan blade it had a bunch of resistance and doesn't move a inch the second I stop trying to move it.