datzenmike

Datsun L series auto trans pix

I looked at this and while it probably will bolt on I saved the bell from the L4N71B because I knew it worked. The L471B bell bolts to the overdrive unit and not the tranny case itself. I'll try to get around to puilling it out of storage.

• Like 2

Great chat- I don’t know if this is useful information but for the 71-WPL510 I built in the 80’s I installed a Z24. I had to weld a 1.5” tube through the pan for the drag-link to go through and I heard the best JATCO at the time was in the ZX-Turbo so I use one. I don’t remember why but I sent the converters to Hugh’s Converters and they cut the converters at the weld on a lathe and used the Z24 on the engine side and the L28 on the trans side and welded up the seam. I also had them give me a 3 grand stall speed which is perfect for a long stroke but overheats in the VG’s

• Like 1

The ZX turbo auto uses more plates and clutches, a modified modulator valve, higher line pressure and a higher stall speed converter than the 4 cylinder ones.

• Like 1

We used to modify modulators with our side-cutters, we would cut an 1/8" off the pin so they would shift later but we usually just move the stick from 1-2-3 at 5 grand

Maybe you can answer this question. Did the zx turbo automatic have a larger driveshaft spline? I think it did.

• Like 1

I had only 2 Datsun yokes I cut off drive lines to slide on the trans so they wouldn't leak when I pull the transmissions and the big 1 worked on this trans the small 1 was for B210's and I cut the splines off the out-put shafts big and little to align clutches and they slid rite in the yokes so I kept them as a set and they worked on everything, standard and auto that's one of the reasons we smiled working on Datsun/Nissan

I had a zx auto from a turbo car and can't remember for sure.

• Like 1

Maybe you can answer this question. Did the zx turbo automatic have a larger driveshaft spline? I think it did.

I was remembering last night that the shop that built my turbo trans for me used a non-turbo main shaft and put the bigger drums on it to hold more clutches and steels and built me an extra strong jatco. I think they used the smaller main shaft so a normal size yoke would fit which was easier to find so I would like to change my answer to a definite maybe, I don’t think I ever pulled a turbo jatco in my 50 year carrier to know for sure. Jatco’s never broke so we didn’t ever had to mess with them, they went into this fail safe mode when 1 ½ qt low on ATF and went into neutral when all the others liked to burn themselves up when low on fluid.

Has anybody tried bolting the 3-speed bellhousing on the 4-speed case yet? Just wondering as the L-series overdrive is almost impossible to find now. I can however find them for other applications all day long.

Edited by Edz280zx
punctuation

You mean a 3N71B automatic front case onto an L4N71B automatic? Yeah I looked at that and no it won't swap. It's close but the L4N71B bolts to the over drive unit. Also (and this was many years ago) I think there is an external oil line that enters the front case to feed into the overdrive unit.

I dare say the cases could be cut carefully and welded together to use a different engine bolt pattern.

• Like 2

There is a 2wd Maxima that has the 6 cylinder "L" motor and a 4 speed automatic transmission.  I believe 83 last year of the rear wheel drive Maxima.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah, the Maxima is the only "L" series with an overdrive. Getting hard to find now..lol

• Like 1

'84 last year then VG30.

• Like 2

VG30 was also when the Maxima went to front wheel drive.