Source for whitewall 521 tires

Hey guys, I’ve searched online at Summit, TireRack, etc. I’m looking for some replacement tires with a 5/8-3/4”ish whitewall, but I’m having a hard time sourcing any. I currently have 195/75/14 that came on the truck when I bought it. Searching around on here I’ve come to the conclusion that stock was 6.00x14 which equates to about 175/75/14. The current tires look a tad “ballooned” looking to me. I’m no opposed to the same height as I currently have, but not so much sidewall balloon look if that makes any sense. Dose anyone have any source for supplier for a 175/75/14 or even a 184/75/14 (the latter size I just found on some tire calculator site) in a white wall? thanks. 
-Pidge 

EB251C49-E2F7-4034-BD7F-F1B682608E0F.jpeg

6DC39E16-3CB7-44C2-8C3C-CE885FE44A9E.jpeg

Edited by pidge
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "balloon" look of the tire is probably the difference between radial tires (new tires) and the tires that came on the pickup when new (bias ply tires). Bias ply tires don't have the bulging sidewall look that radial tires do. The pictures, and the tire size numbers, show that these tires are radials. Also, the tires that came on the pickup when new don't truly match up to current 75 series tires. They are probably closer to an 85 series tire, but I'm not sure of this.  Go to Tire Rack.com and go to their tire size guide.

My dad had two Datsun pickups, a 1967 and a 1973. The above information was gleaned from his pickups and from Tire Rack's tire size guide.

Don

• Thanks 1
On 4/9/2022 at 1:13 AM, 620slodat said:

The "balloon" look of the tire is probably the difference between radial tires (new tires) and the tires that came on the pickup when new (bias ply tires). Bias ply tires don't have the bulging sidewall look that radial tires do. The pictures, and the tire size numbers, show that these tires are radials. Also, the tires that came on the pickup when new don't truly match up to current 75 series tires. They are probably closer to an 85 series tire, but I'm not sure of this.  Go to Tire Rack.com and go to their tire size guide.

My dad had two Datsun pickups, a 1967 and a 1973. The above information was gleaned from his pickups and from Tire Rack's tire size guide.

Don

Thank you for informing me on the difference. I’ll have a look see at tire racks website. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:30 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Hey Crash, those look like exactly something I’m after. And the price is right too. Thanks so much man. 

18 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

https://www.carid.com/hankook-tires/optimo-h724-white-wall-p185-75r14-635263928.html

the old Mercedes W114/115 1969-1976 guys look for these tires with the small white wall

Hey Banzi, those as well are an option. The price is fair just like the ones Crash sent. I’ll have a look into the Hankooks as well. Thanks man. 

18 hours ago, paradime said:

Why shoehorn yourself into a box? Keep the tires you got or get the exact tire you want and slap these on

https://omacshop.com/products/4x-portawalls-black-white-wall-tire-insert-14-rims-sidewall-set

c516b8c9-9bef-4edc-9c80-f3295c8d3627_683x683.jpg

Thanks Paradine, but the tires I’ve got are 10yrs old and have seen better days. They look good from far, but have budged sidewalks which I suspect is from sitting flat at some point. 

2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I have the Hankooks . I think they are Korean made tires. I try to avoid the Chinese made tires. Unfortunatly the older tires sizes are getting harder to find.

Im trying to find whitewall for my 510 in 175/165 13s.  That are not chinese knockoffs

You are right. "Hankook" is Korean for Korea.  Lord knows just what Country or territory they are actually made in.  Sidewall marking could disclose the site and date of manufacture if the tires were legitimately imported and correspond to tire safety rules.

Those Remington brand tires say “passenger” To me that’s for a car. Digging around on that site they say Dodge Neon and other smaller cars. Is it safe to assume they should hold up to the weight of a 521? I don’t haul anything with the 521. 
-Pidge 

Stock tires are 6.00 x 14 6 ply front and 8 ply rears. Equivalent is 175/70R14 but doesn't specify the sidewall ply which has a bearing of max inflation and load carrying.

What does a 521 weigh? 2,700 lbs? plus the 500Kg load so GVW gross vehicle weight is 3,700 pounds. Divide by 4 wheels is 925 or make it an even 1,000 pounds maximum load carrying. This assumes the 521 weights 2700 lbs. it may be less. Just for argument sake 2,700 lb plus 200 pound driver and 300 pounds of cargo = 3,200 lbs / 4 = 800 lbs load rating. You shouldn't have any problem finding a 175/70R14 or what ever with a load carrying capacity well above this.  

Depends on what use the truck is going to experience. If just driving and a few hundred pounds in the back no worries. Passenger tires are cheaper and smoother running because the side walls are less heavy duty and carry less air pressure and load. You can run a passenger tire on a truck but it should have a suitable load carrying rating. 

Always air up tires if carrying more load for extended distances. Higher PSI reduces side wall flex which generates heat which in turn destroys the tire. Never run below minimum tire pressure for the same reason... over is better than under.

Thanks Mike for your explanation. Just doing some more research on load rating. Never really looked into this before. Never had to I guess. Found a tire load rating chart,  https://www.tiresplus.com/tires/tire-buying-guide/tire-load-index-chart/# those Remington tires have a load rating of 86 which equates to 1168lbs or 4744lbs total. I do believe I’ll be okay with that given the weight of the truck plus my weight (190 lbs). I think I have that calculated correctly. Can anyone have a look and conform my calculations? 
-Pidge