Datsun 720 Engine Bay

Hey, y'all, I'm new to datsun. I'm new to the trucks. I have a plan to buy either a 620 or 720. When I get one, I want to put a new engine in it, but I have no clue how big the engine bay is. I've looked everywhere for the answer, and even tried looking up how long the z24 engine is, just to see if that'd help me in any way. Does anyone know just how big the engine bay is, and the length of the z24?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this another V8 swap? I looked at a 305 chev for my 620, and it's not going to fit unless the fire wall is cut back or the radiator mounted in the bed. Stick to V6 engines or better yet a 4 cylinder.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Is this another V8 swap? I looked at a 305 chev for my 620, and it's not going to fit unless the fire wall is cut back or the radiator mounted in the bed. Stick to V6 engines or better yet a 4 cylinder.

Its not another v8 swap lol. Im not that basic. I'm wanting to put an rb in it

LOL THAT won't hunt. I'm guessing that you have an RB just laying around? It'll fit an 810/Maxima or a Z car. Skip the 620/720.

The bore centers for L, Z and KA are 95.5mm and the SR20 is 97mm so just add  7.5" to the front of an L20B in a 620 or a Z24 in a 720 and the fan will be grinding the back of the grill. Or cutout the fire wall and loose your heater. V8s don't fit, V6s will. 

16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

LOL THAT won't hunt. I'm guessing that you have an RB just laying around? It'll fit an 810/Maxima or a Z car. Skip the 620/720.

The bore centers for L, Z and KA are 95.5mm and the SR20 is 97mm so just add  7.5" to the front of an L20B in a 620 or a Z24 in a 720 and the fan will be grinding the back of the grill. Or cutout the fire wall and loose your heater. V8s don't fit, V6s will. 

I dont have lying around. But, I have found a few for around $2,000 - $3,000. But, if I take out the grill, do you think it could create any room? I'm pretty much committed to putting that engine in a 720. I'm just trying to get tips about this stuff lol

That's no way to do things. Seen too many trucks trashed and in the scrap because they can't be completed and no one wants it. This engine is not going to drop in. There's engine mounts and a custom oil pan for clearance. If you haven't bought it then you're not committed. Buy a KA engine if getting a truck. You said you haven't got a 620 or 720 yet so switch to an 810, Maxima or a Z car. 

KA24E and DE are well documented into 620/720s. If into a 720 the KAs will fit the transmission. For a 620 you'll need a KA transmission also. If SR20 you'll need the transmission for either truck. Steve ]2eDeYe on here makes custom engine and transmission mounts for the KA, may work on the SR you'll have to ask him. A little more work but the KA transmission is stronger than the 720 transmission. The Hardbody truck KA is lighter than the car KA and has an oil pan closer to fitting a truck.

The VG30 V6 engines will fit but more work. Tiny bit more power than the KA but way more bottom end torque. If you go VG you can later upgrade to VG33, that even had a supercharger option.

No, I said,,,

If into a 720 the KAs will fit the transmission.

For SR20...

If SR20 you'll need the transmission for either truck.

• 2 weeks later...

start measuring and look for any nissan motor to fit 

vg motor 

vq motor

ka24de

sr 

a v8 is just an extra wide 4 cylinder some are wider and taller 

measure measure measure anything is possible 

lots of options 

Edited by Ranman72

I have a VG33 in a 620. Length wise is easy. Sump is not. Exhaust clearance due to torsion bars is a pain. The gear boxes to suit are huge. New tailshaft plus all the mounts to fit. The vg33 is not that much bigger than the 4cyl. They can actually sit back further. 

They are small cars in reality. The heavier the motor the less the weight distribution is in your favour. RB would have to have number 6 in the bloody glove box! If you have done swaps before go for it if not you are going to ruin a car.

I'm a fairly ok fabricator and have 100s of hours into my Ute which is collecting dust. Still not happy. Engine will come out for another round yet. 

Reality rarely travels in line with your dreams unfortunately 😑 

• Like 1