Next great swap motor?

slowlearner

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I play this game a lot and I try to think vintage swap motors too. Imagine a Prince V8 in your 510 or 620. If you don't know, the Prince V8 is what Nissan used in the IMSA GTO and GTP cars back in the 90s. They are pretty hard to find, but I have found them for sale.

I also think of other oddballs, like instead of an LS or a SBC, how about an SB2, which is what GM used in Nascar.

GM also made a twin-six. Google it.

We had a 1938 Ford truck that I almost swapped a flathead V12 from a Lincoln into. And my 57 Willys wagon is getting a vintage hemi, just because.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

08-esprit.jpg

2.-1989-ford-taurus-sho-30-liter-v-6-engine-photo-568183-s-original.jpg

Dude, what are the chances? I literally just finished typing up an article for Hemmings Classic car about the SHO. I had one in the '90s and it was a lot of fun. The sounds that came from under the hood were music. I do miss that car.

My oldest brother and I drove across Nevada in that car at 130mph for an hour straight. Near maxed out (140mph was the fastest I ever went in that car) and in a convoy with a BMW 5 series and an Acura, neither other drivers we knew. We just saw them speeding along and had our own impromptu cannonball run. Flash-mob race.

I've often considered that engine as a potential swap candidate.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

We had a 1938 Ford truck that I almost swapped a flathead V12 from a Lincoln into. 

Old Lincoln V12 [think Continental] only had 2 rings.  When rebuilding them, old timers used Hudson pistons with some skirt relief to clear the rods.  Better power and much better oil consumption due to the third ring set.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I play this game a lot and I try to think vintage swap motors too. Imagine a Prince V8 in your 510 or 620. If you don't know, the Prince V8 is what Nissan used in the IMSA GTO and GTP cars back in the 90s. They are pretty hard to find, but I have found them for sale.

Nissan also made a 4 liter V8 for the Nissan President limo '65-'73 called the Y40. Now it might just be me but I think Nissan bought the rights to the Ford Y block which was discontinued in ..... you guessed it '64. The 256 Ford Y block even had the same bore as the Y40 at 3.625", Nissan used a very slightly shorter stroke. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Duncan said:

The Hondas K series are wildly popular in all kinds of swaps these days.  If I were looking, I'd be looking at these closely.

I looked into these a little while back. Definitely not a straight forward swap. There are big cooling and oil pan/pump issues.

Actually, I'm trying to look beyond this at newer stuff. 

For example, VW GTi 2.0 turbo or Hyundai N 2.0 turbo. The VW motor is super popular and good for 500hp with just a few mods like turbo and tune. There are thousands of them around and many will come up at wreckers really soon. Moving them around to RWD is the challenge. 

The problem is if you add up the cost of doing a motor that requires converting to RWD might as well pick up a SR.  In the end it's just not easy to make it cheaper since conversion parts are so expensive and add up to a high cost.  Maybe the VW or Hyundai will be a goodie engine for cheap.  Unfortunately getting it to a RWD platform just isn't cheap.  We picked up a honda K series to mock up.  So so so many parts required once you start messing with one.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Icehouse said:

The problem is if you add up the cost of doing a motor that requires converting to RWD might as well pick up a SR.  In the end it's just not easy to make it cheaper since conversion parts are so expensive and add up to a high cost.  Maybe the VW or Hyundai will be a goodie engine for cheap.  Unfortunately getting it to a RWD platform just isn't cheap.  We picked up a honda K series to mock up.  So so so many parts required once you start messing with one.  

Word, sometimes the cost of going the cheeper rout is too expensive. Like icehouse, I have an SR20 510, so maybe  I'm bias.

I don't know what cars they're available in down under, but the Ford EcoBoost 2.3L is definitely worth a gander. Not particularly glamorous, but it's derived from a 2 liter turbo Mazda L that's been stroked. Aluminum head & block with a forged alloy crank, RWD and mates to a 6 spd manual or 10 spd auto. With bone stock internals, it makes 405 hp 369 lb-ft in the VUHL 05 version, and is capable of much more.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, paradime said:

Word, sometimes the cost of going the cheeper rout is too expensive. Like icehouse, I have an SR20 510, so maybe  I'm bias.

I don't know what cars they're available in down under, but the Ford EcoBoost 2.3L is definitely worth a gander. Not particularly glamorous, but it's derived from a 2 liter turbo Mazda L that's been stroked. Aluminum head & block with a forged alloy crank, RWD and mates to a 6 spd manual or 10 spd auto. With bone stock internals, it makes 405 hp 369 lb-ft in the VUHL 05 version, and is capable of much more.

I've been stung going to non-standard, but have enjoyed success as well. The EcoBoost is too new, being in the first wave of custom is either a young man's or a wealthy man's game, being neither, I wish those daring to charge the beach-good luck and God's speed. Anymore, I believe by expense or regulation or both, operation of combustion engine motor cars will be reserved for the rich or rebels and their red 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Nissan also made a 4 liter V8 for the Nissan President limo '65-'73 called the Y40. Now it might just be me but I think Nissan bought the rights to the Ford Y block which was discontinued in ..... you guessed it '64. The 256 Ford Y block even had the same bore as the Y40 at 3.625", Nissan used a very slightly shorter stroke. 

You're right. That's the motor I was referring to, built before Nissan merged with Prince. The Y motor was in Paul Newman's 280ZX V8 car.

Okay, if money were no object... 2 Hayabusas please.

H1 MAXI V8 SPECIFICATIONS:

LAYOUT- 90 degree V8, flat plane crankshaft machined from billet, 6061-T6 aluminum

COMPRESSION RATION- 13:1

POWER- 420 TO 520 hp at 10,000 rpm (NA)

TORQUE- 240 to 280 ft lbs

WEIGHT- 96 kg, 212 lbs with clutch assembly  

Imagine this under th hood of a 510

• Like 2
15 hours ago, paradime said:

We haven't got the ecoboost in many cars here. I suspect the mustang might not even be offered with it here.

11 hours ago, paradime said:

Bummer, I was afraid of that. I don't know if you're interested in rotary, but did you guys even get them? What front clips or engine/trans can you import from Japan?

We've got plenty of rotary engines here... however they're all pretty expensive now. A good rebuildable core for a 12A starts around $3.5k. 13Bs are a grand or so more. You can pick up Renesis 13B from an Rx8 for about 3.5k but again, they're not known for their reliability. 

We stopped getting performance front cuts in large numbers a few years back unfortunately. A real shame, but they changed the laws so it wasn't as good for business. 

Edited by slowlearner
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, slowlearner said:

We've got plenty of rotary engines here... however they're all pretty expensive now. A good rebuildable core for a 12A starts around $3.5k. 13Bs are a grand or so more. You can pick up Renesis 13B from an Rx8 for about 3.5k but again, they're not known for their reliability. 

We stopped getting performance front cuts in large numbers a few years back unfortunately. A real shame, but they changed the laws so it wasn't as good for business. 

Damn, I'm starting to understand the desperation that would lead you to consider trying to straighten out a traverse 4. I also understand you're criticism of rotary power, but I had no idea their price had gotten so hefty. Not worth it X2.

My brother and I built an auto cross 510 with a blacktop S13. The block was rebuilt when we got it, we did the head, and it's been running strong for over 10 years on bone stock internals. We started with a log mount GT3071R on top (because LHD), but got sick of waiting for it to spool up. We finally replaced it with a smaller GT-X 2867R and holy crap it's damn close to V8 power. On E85 it's now pumping a terrifying 372RWHP all the way upto 8k, a ridiculous 20 of psi boost @ 2,900 rpm with 367 ft lbs to back it up it, and our compression is still as solid as the day we bought it. Needless to say, I'm a HUGE fan of the SR20 platform, so I say save, beg, borrow and or steel to get one.

That's my $.02 worth anyway.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2022 at 7:50 AM, paradime said:

Damn, I'm starting to understand the desperation that would lead you to consider trying to straighten out a traverse 4. I also understand you're criticism of rotary power, but I had no idea their price had gotten so hefty. Not worth it X2.

My brother and I built an auto cross 510 with a blacktop S13. The block was rebuilt when we got it, we did the head, and it's been running strong for over 10 years on bone stock internals. We started with a log mount GT3071R on top (because LHD), but got sick of waiting for it to spool up. We finally replaced it with a smaller GT-X 2867R and holy crap it's damn close to V8 power. On E85 it's now pumping a terrifying 372RWHP all the way upto 8k, a ridiculous 20 of psi boost @ 2,900 rpm with 367 ft lbs to back it up it, and our compression is still as solid as the day we bought it. Needless to say, I'm a HUGE fan of the SR20 platform, so I say save, beg, borrow and or steel to get one.

That's my $.02 worth anyway.

Yeah. Cheapest SR20det is $6.5k on FB marketplace atm. So 10 years ago, for sure. Great value. 

Hence my thinking about potential future motors, even if they're FWD. The reason they're so popular is they were cheap and reliable. Newer stuff is even more reliable. So there's no reason why we can't find something that's easy to convert, but we'll need to start thinking outside of the box.

...or we can go electric. I'm already tempted. 😉