74 620 L18 Electric Fuel Pump Suggestions

Richie

So my mechanical fuel pump is giving me problems. I was told to switch to an electrical fuel and thought to ask the form. I found one on Z car depot I will post the link. This one says I do not need a regulator. I am running a Weber. Any suggestions? Thank you. 

https://zcardepot.com/collections/fuel-pump/products/electric-fuel-pump-carburetor-240z-260z

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the problems? Could it be a plugged fuel filter? dirty inlet filter in the carburetor? improperly set float height? hose clamp loose? kink in the fuel line? blockage in the fuel line? gas cap not venting?

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What are the problems? Could it be a plugged fuel filter? dirty inlet filter in the carburetor? improperly set float height? hose clamp loose? kink in the fuel line? blockage in the fuel line? gas cap not venting?

So I replaced the original pump awhile ago and bought this new one about 2 years ago from rockauto. We thought the filter was clogged, cleaned it and wasnt the problem. We thought it was a carb issue, but the carb is brand new. Then the car started after about 5 mins it turned off and wouldnt start again because no gas was getting to it. We removed the pump and noticed it was not sucking. We took it apart cleaned it and tighten the screws down then bomb it started and I finally got to drive my datsun for the first time ever. Took it 7 miles with no rear brakes yet lol. 

https://imgur.com/a/tOQzkHv

Edited by Richie

Remove all hoses before the pump and blow back into the tank. If it's clogged, you'll hear it. Might be better to remove the hose going to the tank too before you do this so you don't blow any junk into the tank. Then blow down through the fuel tank pickup tube and see if that's clogged. Make sure the fuel cap is off or you could rupture the tank. And also make sure you don't light up a cigarette. That could be visible from outer space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Remove all hoses before the pump and blow back into the tank. If it's clogged, you'll hear it. Might be better to remove the hose going to the tank too before you do this so you don't blow any junk into the tank. Then blow down through the fuel tank pickup tube and see if that's clogged. Make sure the fuel cap is off or you could rupture the tank. And also make sure you don't light up a cigarette. That could be visible from outer space.

So i did blow out the lines already and clean the tank, and compression tested it. The lines were a little clogged before but now they are good. I swear its the fuel pump because ever since we took it apart and tighten the screws and cleaned it, it started working again. 

• Like 1
On 3/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I had a cracked fuel intake line right before the clamp and would suck air in. repalced the hose then pump woked again

Changed the lines, blew it out yesterday, and it started up fine. I waited a couple hours and yup the fuel pump is faulty. The diaphragm on the inside is just weak.  

• Like 1

Is it an original or after market mechanical???? After market sometimes the pump arm falls off the cam.

Do you have the 1/4" plastic spacer between the pump and head? pump, gasket, spacer, gasket, head.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is it an original or after market mechanical???? After market sometimes the pump arm falls off the cam.

Do you have the 1/4" plastic spacer between the pump and head? pump, gasket, spacer, gasket, head.

REMAN from Rockauto. Actually I am gonna look to see if I have pump, gasket, spacer, gasket....

We took it off and before taking it apart it was sucking very weak. After we took it apart and cleaned it, we pumped it by hand and it made a huuugge difference. Now it doesnt work again.