L16 powered 79' 210

Hopefully some off yall can help me thru this swap im about to begin...

so after months of not driving my 210( she was burning oil like a mofo) i came across an L16 & 4speed trans for cheap. Seller had it in his 521 in running condition before he pulled it he says.

Heres the story on my 210..

I was moving out once from a spot i lived at with my girlfriend. We only had one car at the time.. so while we took time to figure out how to move our shit to our new spot, i hoped on offerup and started looking at project cars hahah

I told my lady i was gona go out and get us some drinks so i took off walking and 900 bucks later i came home in my 210. She didnt see me come home so i parked in her parking spot and went inside to tell her some idiot had parked in her spot

She was big mad, so when i was done laughing i said here let me move the car closer so we can load it up with more of our boxes...

heres what she looked like back then

Screenshot_20220325-130729_Snapchat.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Screenshot-20220325-130829-Snapchat.jpgSince i have access to my account again i will post pics of the progress ive done..

Found some temporary cheap wheels for 50bucks so i painted them and slapped them on

I made a custom front end cause i worked at a carbon fiber shop, also i rattle can primered it for fun outside a subway parking lot hahahah

Screenshot-20220325-130921-Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot-20220325-130854-Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot-20220325-130900-Snapchat.jpg

I took apart that weird grill, and trashed it all except the original plactic frame of the original grill

Screenshot-20220325-130930-Snapchat.jpgthats much better isnt it?

Yes someone had installed a sun roof and wasnt properly done but i left it alone..

It was running ok for a while and then the carb broke...literally it cracked in half but i was a block from home so i rolled it home in neutral. 

After this happened i decided to pull the motor and replace everything i could since i had no idea how old the parts were or what was on its way out..

After all new gaskets and new goodies i felt more confident to be out on the road..Screenshot-20220325-130959-Snapchat.jpg

A buddy of mine said i couldnt rattle can for shit so i said let me borrow your drive way for a few hours...Screenshot-20220325-130948-Snapchat.jpghis pops came home and said how much i paid for the paintjob and i said 60 bucks😂

Months later, I was at a pick a part near me to help my friend find a radiator for his truck. I instantly noticed a datsun 200sx and you already know what happed next!!

Screenshot-20220325-131024-Snapchat.jpg

Took that home and cleaned it up, i welded some brackets i made to bolt in some 2004 nissan maxima rear calipers that fit the same brake lines the stock 210 used. Disk brakes all around yeeeew!

So now this brings me up to where im at... i currently have 3 A series motors. All very tired and worn out now.

So a few days ago i got an L16 and tranny. I wanted the L20 but cant find one without buying a whole ass truck. 

I have a spare 210 crossmember i will be using, and i also have another 210 engine harness... what i want to know is can i keep my 210 harness? Will it work on the L series? Maybe Even some basic wiring to start and turn off the l16 in the car?

Did you put a disc brake residual valve in the master cylinder??? Drum brakes are 2-3 times more pressure than the disc valve. The rear pads will rub way harder than they need to. Overheat? and/or wear out faster. Just get the residual valve from a front disc Datsun and swap it into the rear outlet on the master.

L16 wouldn't be the best but once converted, an L20B will slip right in.

I didnt put no valve, and I haven't had any issues with the brakes. The calipers arent that big in the rear so i wasnt worried about it to much

Thats exactly what im going for mike, if i do the l16 and most of the work is done then the L20 would slide right in. (Well when i come across one or i decide to buy a 620 donor truck to rip its heart out) 

1 hour ago, ChickenGrease92 said:

So now this brings me up to where im at... i currently have 3 A series motors. All very tired and worn out now.

So a few days ago i got an L16 and tranny. I wanted the L20 but cant find one without buying a whole ass truck. 

I have a spare 210 crossmember i will be using, and i also have another 210 engine harness... what i want to know is can i keep my 210 harness? Will it work on the L series? Maybe Even some basic wiring to start and turn off the l16 in the car?

You're basically building a HL510 (late model 510). The wiring harness should be mostly usable, although a wiring diagram will help. 

1 hour ago, ChickenGrease92 said:

I didnt put no valve, and I haven't had any issues with the brakes. The calipers arent that big in the rear so i wasnt worried about it to much

Just curious if you raise a rear can you spin it by hand?

The residual valve keeps a slight brake fluid pressure in the lines. Drum brakes have farther to travel and stiff return springs so around 10 PSI remains in the lines . A disc brake pad rubs the rotor already and only needs 1 or 2 PSI so the pad keeps the rotor clean. This could cause them to heat up and certainly will wear them faster.

Screenshot_20220325-195708_Opera.thumb.jpg.df5ba83b18ecc9a9fb535ee48be65dfd.jpg

No. This is the brake warning switch. As long as the is hydraulic pressure in front and back systems the switch remains neutral. If there is a leak in one the pressure is unbalanced the switch is turned on lighting the red warning light that something is wrong.

As I said both residual valves are in the master cylinder. At the very bottom where the rear and front lines come out

Brake Master Cylinder OEM 46010-E4602 Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 1970-1971 RARE!  Limited Stock Remaining! – Whitehead Performance

Above that nut is a valve held by a spring.

nQb2tYJ.jpg

I had to do the opposite. I had a 280zx master which were front and rear disc but my 710 has rear drums. I had to take the rear disc valve out and put my rear drum residual valve in. Have a care and don't mix them up, I could not tell the difference between them, they look the same.

Now i get what you mean, ok im going to have to try that! 

I was getting confused but i see what your talking about 

Hmmm about an hour ago i had to make and bend a hard line and there was a valve on the master for a volvo im working on... valve looks similar to that one in the pic 

I like all you've done with it. You "could" always keep and rebuild the A series, they're so easy to work on and it really doesn't take much to wake them up really nicely. Biggest weak spot is the transmissions can't take any abuse and need a custom conversion. Is that an H165 or H190 200sx diff? The engine you could EFI and turbo without doing much else besides a rebuild and crank out 150-200 hp or more if you want, and still get good gas mileage off boost. There's a company in South Africa that makes all kinds of goodies to do this because the Sunny/1200 trucks were so popular there and made until the 90s. I wish more people would embrace the A series here in the states, they got a bad reputation as just an economy engine with no performance potential, but those who've built them know how great, simple, and fun they can be!

Thanks afracer! 

I honestly am a huge fan of the A series engines. They are so simple and easy to work on like you said, and i like to see peoples reactions when i tell them theres no ecu haha

Yes thats the H165 rear end and came with the rear sway bar.

As for efi and turbo, idk if id mess with all that cause i already know i would break my 5 speed dogleg trans..

Im interested in this company you speak of tho, i would like to see what kind of parts they have available

Our race crew once rebuilt an A series engine for our 1200 on a picnic table at the race track.  We had a spare block along to cannabalize.  Great fun.

Love that you have a 122 also.  I always wanted one.  I had a 144S years ago.

Edited by iceman510
On 3/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, ChickenGrease92 said:

Thanks afracer! 

I honestly am a huge fan of the A series engines. They are so simple and easy to work on like you said, and i like to see peoples reactions when i tell them theres no ecu haha

Yes thats the H165 rear end and came with the rear sway bar.

As for efi and turbo, idk if id mess with all that cause i already know i would break my 5 speed dogleg trans..

Im interested in this company you speak of tho, i would like to see what kind of parts they have available

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1807535416185773/

NFNR Racing

Edited by afracer