Datsun B210 L swap

Mr.Mercury

I'm thinking of getting a 1977 Datsun B210. It's a light blue fastback/hatchback type. That little 75hp motor that comes in the thing doesn't cut it for me though. I want to do an L swap like an L16 or an L20, I was thinking that way I could get 125-150 hp. I really want to know how realistic it is though, all my friends tell me not to get the car, that it's a stupid idea. My budget is like 3-5k for the project. What would really be entailed in the swap? Does the frame need to be reinforced? Does there need to be a lot of cutting? Everything I have seen has just been hypothetical discussion.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L16 is about 70hp on a really good day so go for the L20B that's about 20 more hp.

I hear the early PL510 cross member bolts in. You'll need the oil pan and pick up too so it fits the cross member for clearance.

That said  it might be easier to just make your own cross member and mounts for the engine or modify the one you already have. Do you have a welder?  

I have a friend that is a "professional". but he does good work. I was just hoping to get something with some more power. The car is a POS so I'm not really afraid to do work to it, I saw the SR20 or KA24 swap is more common but I figured it'd be out of my budget. I'm sorry if I seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't know much about these REALLY old J cars and it's hard to get much information.

I can tell you anything you want about the entire process. I've had a CA, ka, SR and an LZ23 in my 76 B210. 

Spoiler: my LZ23 (2.3L Frankenstein L series) didn't make shit for power. A single cam KA would blow it out of the water. 

35 minutes ago, mhub91 said:

I can tell you anything you want about the entire process. I've had a CA, ka, SR and an LZ23 in my 76 B210. 

Spoiler: my LZ23 (2.3L Frankenstein L series) didn't make shit for power. A single cam KA would blow it out of the water. 

so in regards to an KA swap since I can just rip one out of my local junkyard for like 500 bucks, SR seems more expensive to get. I have like a million questions. but I guess my main ones are how do you get the shift lever in the right place for the hole? and what trans/diff/axle system would I need to mate with that engine? and since it's FI what ECU would be best? What kind of reinforcement do I need to do to the chassis?

KA / CA / SR are all on the end of "advanced" engine swaps. They're all a tight fit and have various issues. 

When I'm at a PC I'll sit a give a huge info dump. On cell phone now.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

You'd need a stumpy 5 speed gearbox from a 2wd nissan truck to be close on the gear stick hole. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:01 PM, Mr.Mercury said:

so in regards to an KA swap since I can just rip one out of my local junkyard for like 500 bucks, SR seems more expensive to get. I have like a million questions. but I guess my main ones are how do you get the shift lever in the right place for the hole? and what trans/diff/axle system would I need to mate with that engine? and since it's FI what ECU would be best? What kind of reinforcement do I need to do to the chassis?