Something strange - Something new

I picked up the 720 from the junk yard day before yesterday and today the owner called me with another one!  I will go look at it probably Sat to see how it is equipped.  My property is going to turn into a junk yard before tooo long. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jagman said:

I picked up the 720 from the junk yard day before yesterday and today the owner called me with another one!  I will go look at it probably Sat to see how it is equipped.  My property is going to turn into a junk yard before tooo long. 

I would love to embrace that path and believe the cause is righteous. It is always good to have spares, parts aren't getting cheaper, if some unholy idiot drives into and damages your beloved and you can repair and/or have the parts to repair on hand, then it is possible to make money from tragedy (collector rigs notwithstanding)

Finally, junk yard cars cover lawn that otherwise must be mowed. There is no downside.

So, the big question, is how you acquirers of purposeful yard art, convinced your wives? Please tell the secret

I will use it for trading purposes dear. Someone will want it one day. Working on just that today. 1984 GMC S-15 for a set of 15x10 Center Lines and drag radials. Paid almost nothing for the S-15. Hope it helps with your situation. I've acquired 12 yard art cars & trucks, down to 8 if this goes through. Almost time to have that discussion with 

Chopper Judy again.

Chopper Jim

Hey y'all are welcome anytime to come look see.  I'm not too worried about the yard art since my son takes scrap metal and turns it into art.  He just finished a " love sign" for the parks and rec folks and they immediately commissioned another one. He's working on that one now.  If anything metal sits in one place for too long it turns into butterflies,  flowers, strange looking birds, turtles or dragons.  So far most of the art is from mower parts and junk farm equipment but I will keep an eye on him in case he decides a fender or hood or some such strikes him as an art donor.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, frankendat said:

I would love to embrace that path and believe the cause is righteous. It is always good to have spares, parts aren't getting cheaper, if some unholy idiot drives into and damages your beloved and you can repair and/or have the parts to repair on hand, then it is possible to make money from tragedy (collector rigs notwithstanding)

Finally, junk yard cars cover lawn that otherwise must be mowed. There is no downside.

So, the big question, is how you acquirers of purposeful yard art, convinced your wives? Please tell the secret

This is just me but.....

Had the conversation prior to being joined in holy matrimony. Her one request was that I had no more than 1 non running Datsun at a time. Silly girl, only 2 are running ATM.

I think I just got lucky. It should also be noted that we married in our early 40's.

Also had the conversation about the fact that I fart, wait, that may be another thread altogether.

• Like 2
On 3/17/2022 at 9:18 PM, jagman said:

Hey y'all are welcome anytime to come look see.  I'm not too worried about the yard art since my son takes scrap metal and turns it into art.  He just finished a " love sign" for the parks and rec folks and they immediately commissioned another one. He's working on that one now.  If anything metal sits in one place for too long it turns into butterflies,  flowers, strange looking birds, turtles or dragons.  So far most of the art is from mower parts and junk farm equipment but I will keep an eye on him in case he decides a fender or hood or some such strikes him as an art donor.

Good to see you posting again! My Wife takes pictures of those signs

whenever she can.

I saw this one today,just South of Covington. 

013.JPG

• Like 1

Strangely enough there are a few 720's here still on the road.  I am more surprised that there are so few owners from this neck of the woods that are not on ratsun although the one owner I spoke with does reference nico and some other forum.  He misses the Black Dragon parts.  I wonder if he is in competition for the junkers for parts.  So far all I have been able to get are the king cabs the first with auto the second with a 5 speed.  I will have to ask Mike if the auto differential is a different ratio than the 5 speed. 

Depends on the year but generally an automatic uses a numerically higher differential. If the manual is 3.889 the auto might be 4.11.

There is a metal tag riveted to the passenger side inner fender below the hood hinge. At the bottom right is the differential ratio. HF38 would be an H-190 and 3.889 ratio. HF35 is 3.545 HF41 is 4.11 and so on. '80-'82 4x4 use an H-190 and 4.375 but at some time the pinion spline and companion flange was changed and a 2wd driveshaft won't bolt up. Be sure to check first.  '83 and up 4x4 differentials are C-200 and mostly 4.11 and not H-190.

Five speeds were an option through '82, then all 5 speeds.

Diesels and 4x4 were all 5 speeds but 4x4 have no way to use your speedometer. Diesel have different bolt pattern but you can swap the front case.

'85 and on use the better 62mm counter bearing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since gas prices went to $4,00 the folks here seem to have resurected a bunch of the mini-trucks.  I see Mazda, Toyota and Nissans more than ever on the roads here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The owner of the local junk yard called yesterday to tell me he has another 720 in the yard.  I will go look at it today.  If I take it that will mean I have three and ensure that I have all the parts to keep mine on the road!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I was driving the truck yesterday with the windows down and noticed a grinding sound when braking for a stop sign.  I can only assume it is a pad or drum noise.  I ordered front pads and rear shoes from RA in ceramic.  Has anyone had experience with the ceramics as opposed to the metallics?  I will have to find a shop around here that can replace the linings with  a non-metallic compound so they don't wear the drums on my riley. 

Well if new pads and shoes you'll soon find out if it's just metal an metal.

The fronts are fairly easy to do yourself. Rears are a bit more work. If metal to metal likely the rotor or drums will need, or should be, turned down to true them up. In some cases replacement.

I've has a tiny rock chip get caught in the caliper and it would make a grinding sound.

I was more curious about the ceramics vs the metallics.  Since I am OLD I have had some experience with the drum brakes.  Thanks Mike