620 dash lights not working

mikde

after 10 years my 1978 kc ka conversion is finally running.  the dash lights do not work

things ive checked

1) I have power to the round 14 pin connector and to the light socket. All bulb new and power tested

2) turn signals, emergency flasher arrows work, as do the headlight low/high beam

3) power to the 2 leads of the dimmer switch using the plug ground. (any idea how to test the dimmer?)

4)  gas gauge works, not using temp/charge lights

not sure if im missing a ground or bad dimmer or?

mike

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, mikde said:

after 10 years my 1978 kc ka conversion is finally running.  the dash lights do not work

things ive checked

1) I have power to the round 14 pin connector and to the light socket. All bulb new and power tested

2) turn signals, emergency flasher arrows work, as do the headlight low/high beam

3) power to the 2 leads of the dimmer switch using the plug ground. (any idea how to test the dimmer?)

4)  gas gauge works, not using temp/charge lights

not sure if im missing a ground or bad dimmer or?

mike

Dash lights are on the same circuit as the tail lights. Have a look are the tail lights working. Check the front parking lights. Dash and tail/parking lights, side marker, license plate lights are on the first pull out position of the headlight switch (and also the second for headlights) If none of these are working it's likely the fuse. It's the 10 amp closest the driver and right side of fuse box.

Try that first and report if the tail lights are also out or not. If they are working (I suspect they are because the hi/lo beams switch) then not the fuse and a connection is bad.

all gauge cluster mounting tabs were cleaned and dielectric greased the tabs. I even added an extra ground to the metal frame on the gauge cluster. no lights still.

I found a thread for mid 70's b210 with the same still dimmer switch. That said to jump terminal 2-3 together to bypass the cimmer. I just blows the fuse.