1964, 410 with an E1 motor, timing chain installation

Big Al

Ok, hello everybody. I'm trying to  Install a timing set on my 1964, 410 Datsun. I purchased a new timing set because I'm rebuilding the motor. The new marks on the timing set do not correspond with the marks on the old set. When you lineup the key ways and place the new gear on top of the old one the marks are off. On top of that the gears themselves are not in same position,WTF, LOL?  I have yet to find any literature that is legible and able to see how to install new gears on this motor. I have yet to find any literature that is legible and able to see how to install new gears on this motor. So if anyone has any information on how to do this properly and if anyone has used a instead of new gears to install on their E1 motor or J13 motor please please send me a link. I'm not the only one to notice the gears and the marks are different. Read on my other 410 forum and forum,  There is someone going through the same thing. I've read the big write-up from a member on here about rebuilding their E1 motor, it's very informative but they don't go into the timing chain debacle very well. Any help appreciated, thank! Pics are of gears on top of one another with keyways lined up, note marks are off and so are the teeth

20220223_095644.jpg

20220223_095635.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard to explain cuz it’s weird as compared to most engine .. marks are used to match chain links not “aim” at each other or a specific place .. try using screw driver down spark plug hole to help find top dead on piston stroke . 

sie8jlF.jpg

PnFGqBR.jpg

im on phone will send link to where you can find that manual online when I get back to PC 

When I installed the chain according to the J13 manual, because I'm under the influence that it's the same as my E1 procedure. My chain only has one blued link on it, so I counted 8 links over and marked it, and that's where I lined up the cam dot to. I put my timing chain cover on, and it seems it's not timed to the #1 cylinder. I noticed that when cylinders 1 and 4 were not at TDC when I installed the chain. 2 and 4 were up top, anyway when I get my head back from the machine shop next week I will install it, and put the lifters and pushrods in. Than I can check the timing and see what's going on in real time.