Which 411 Wagon did I buy?

jwinekync

I recently purchased a 1967 Datsun 411 Wagon. The VIN number (RL411 800898) seems to go with a J13 wagon variant, based on a Datsun VIN document I found, but the engine is an R16 with factory stamped hole through driver fender well. The car also has front disc and 1600 badging on the rear hatch lid and the BW 3spd auto trans. I am trying to buy the upgraded G20 brake kit from Mike at Blue hands and need to identify if the brakes are SSS or standard 411 parts. Attached are pics of the brakes and car. Thanks for the help, Jeff. E58BC37A-E01F-4680-AA6B-3994C18CDE59.thumb.jpeg.50de58d9057bc69e98ac59416efbfd67.jpeg1962687220_HubDepth.thumb.jpeg.e3e93b4a841452ef9b9aca46d99568ed.jpeg

IMG_1527.jpg

28E18684-C802-40D7-8E55-19CDADF8BF13.jpeg

IMG_1528.jpg

87154100-581E-4D3B-A58B-2C61525B2DEB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't throw old calipers away ,, they aren't worth much,, ( like virtually worthless 😄) BUT are nearly impossible to find for those staying stock.  So some cheap ass Datsun guy might really appreciate having them someday.

MikeKlotz brakes require a 14" wheel

If you don't know already on a SSS ,, the Datsun Roadster center sections are direct replacement for a bit better freeway gearing. 

More Pics or ban 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help!! I am still trying to decide on fixing or replacing what I have. These are def 2 survivor cars and need to be back on the road. Are the parts for rebuilding the SSS calipers easy to find? I will get more pics and get them oriented the right way this time 🤣

That’s a 411 sss wagon. The RL in the vin tells that. The front brakes you have are not compatible with the bluehands/mklotz g20 brakes as you’d need to source a set of drum brake hubs off a j13 car to fit them. His setup is a drum to disk conversion for rhe pl411, not a disk/caliper upgrade for the rl411. 

bit of misinformation on bananahamuk in that the 411sss already comes with a 3.89 rear gear. Anything numerically lower will make it a bear to accelerate, and any numerically higher and it will only do 70mph at 5,000rpm.(I ran a 4.11 h165 axle in mine for a minute) 

I highly suggest you join the Facebook 410/411 group. It’s got memebers world wide, and a lot of good info from some hardcore 411 guys. I see it having more traffic than here and quicker responses. On the other hand the Info held in this forum is also indispensable, there’s many write ups and such(I did one myself on how to make a 411sss 4 speed trans out of a roadster and 510/521 trans) 

also, that’s my old hood from the day I blew up my car about 10 years ago, i painted it up for the eagle rock swapmeet and spun a bearing then threw a rod exiting the 110fwy to go there. It’s for a 410, has threaded nuts on the hood, later cars had them threaded on the hinges. 

B0F947A6-9C9B-41F5-89C9-E6A8EFA3A818.jpeg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, erichwaslike said:

That’s a 411 sss wagon. The RL in the vin tells that. The front brakes you have are not compatible with the bluehands/mklotz g20 brakes as you’d need to source a set of drum brake hubs off a j13 car to fit them. His setup is a drum to disk conversion for rhe pl411, not a disk/caliper upgrade for the rl411. 

bit of misinformation on bananahamuk in that the 411sss already comes with a 3.89 rear gear. Anything numerically lower will make it a bear to accelerate, and any numerically higher and it will only do 70mph at 5,000rpm.(I ran a 4.11 h165 axle in mine for a minute) 

I highly suggest you join the Facebook 410/411 group. It’s got memebers world wide, and a lot of good info from some hardcore 411 guys. I see it having more traffic than here and quicker responses. On the other hand the Info held in this forum is also indispensable, there’s many write ups and such(I did one myself on how to make a 411sss 4 speed trans out of a roadster and 510/521 trans) 

also, that’s my old hood from the day I blew up my car about 10 years ago, i painted it up for the eagle rock swapmeet and spun a bearing then threw a rod exiting the 110fwy to go there. It’s for a 410, has threaded nuts on the hood, later cars had them threaded on the hinges. 

B0F947A6-9C9B-41F5-89C9-E6A8EFA3A818.jpeg

I thought wagons were 4:11 , is that just 510s?  
   anyways,  my 66 J13 “was”  (I switch back and forth more than I let on here) ,, “was” running 3:70 for long trips and I have driven all the way to Canada and I’ve went over the Cascade mountains to Idaho for family camping cruises  .. at 70 plus it’s way nicer for keeping up with my older sons 80s  Celicas and Cressidas than the 3:90 , although I do run a pretty small tire on a 13” rim . 
   Wife drives camping gear rescue vehicle. 

I kept up with a few pretty healthly Datsuns climbing hills out of south Portland one day .. you just have to keep it in lower gear and foot firmly on the floor . 😂

I will have to beg differ on Facebook is frustrating because info is fleeting at best .. Try looking up anything it’s a waste.  BUT if looking for hard to find 410/411 parts , Facebook can’t be beat . 

. I am a member of both 410-411 groups on there .. so I ain’t saying don’t bother at all I’m just saying fuck Facebook ,, lol ,, but on the bright side  At least I’m not a weekly political prisoner like most of my friends on there ... lol 

I’m almost positive,   Mike Klotz now makes a version of his brackets that are for SSS vehicles . All are made to order now . 

2 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

I thought wagons were 4:11 , is that just 510s?  
   anyways,  my 66 J13 “was”  (I switch back and forth more than I let on here) ,, “was” running 3:70 for long trips and I have driven all the way to Canada and I’ve went over the Cascade mountains to Idaho for family camping cruises  .. at 70 plus it’s way nicer for keeping up with my older sons 80s  Celicas and Cressidas than the 3:90 , although I do run a pretty small tire on a 13” rim . 
   Wife drives camping gear rescue vehicle. 

I kept up with a few pretty healthly Datsuns climbing hills out of south Portland one day .. you just have to keep it in lower gear and foot firmly on the floor . 😂

I will have to beg differ on Facebook is frustrating because info is fleeting at best .. Try looking up anything it’s a waste.  BUT if looking for hard to find 410/411 parts , Facebook can’t be beat . 

. I am a member of both 410-411 groups on there .. so I ain’t saying don’t bother at all I’m just saying fuck Facebook ,, lol ,, but on the bright side  At least I’m not a weekly political prisoner like most of my friends on there ... lol 

I’m almost positive,   Mike Klotz now makes a version of his brackets that are for SSS vehicles . All are made to order now . 

Ya I just saw he updated the brake kit to include the sss now. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, erichwaslike said:

Ya I just saw he updated the brake kit to include the sss now. 

I got him to make me a set, now he has them.
I think he was trying to see if he could make the standard bracket work with the RL, at least we were discussing it. I haven't been able to get my car in the coveted garage spot though.   

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

Welcome to the world of 411SSS.  Parts can take awhile to find.  

Often the solution is another make's part and ingenuity and elbow grease.  My RL411 has 1970 Buick intake manifold hose [thermostat bypass hose], Kia Sephia thermostat housing [redrill metric through holes to SAE], Ford Police Interceptor heater hoses [silicon] and "will not fit" JDM master cylinder made for JDM 1500 cc roadster [outlet on wrong side for Japanese roadster therefor right side for export R1600 engines].

Since original wipers were an off size, replacing the blades with available units will require careful re-clocking of the wiper arms to avoid interference as the blades cross arcs.  You can do it but will invent new and colorful cuss words before you get it right.