Riddle me this

ratboi3000

So! Car has not given me any issues really thus far. My cousin has suggested a carb rebuild kit but besides that car has been running smooth the last month. I took it out to go to a event, left it sitting for 4 hours max after driving for 20 minutes, went to start it up and the ignition would not turn no sound what so ever, radio turned on lights turned on, fuel pump turned on and yet I could not get the car to start. Some friendly dudes pushed my car a little bit and the car got me home, turned it off when I got home and tried to turn it back on and had no problem. What’s up????

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a possible intermittent wiring issue.  Check your connections (IG switch, starter, grounds, etc.).  Could also be a break in a wire somewhere, not easily visible.

I once helped a guy fix a VW that would leave him stranded in this way periodically.  Finally one time it happened I could get to the car and check all the wires and find the dead one.  I ran a new wire in that case bypassing the harness where the problem was buried.

I

3 hours ago, ratboi3000 said:

.....went to start it up and the ignition would not turn no sound what so ever

What does this mean? .... turn key to start, and the starter does not turn the engine? If push started then the ignition is working. Turn the ignition to start several times. Does the solenoid make a clicking sound?

1/ The starter has a smaller solenoid mounted on top of it near the dip stick handle. The large battery cable runs to it and there is a smaller Black/Red (stripe) wire. Make sure this is firmly on its terminal. 

2/ For the solenoid to work it needs a strong 12v signal so pull the wire back off and check with a meter. It should read battery or somewhere near 12.6v.

3a/ If you have 12v on the start position and no sound from the solenoid then the solenoid isn't working. The starter itself is probably fine. If you can find a solenoid from another starter, perhaps from a wrecking yard, that should fix it. Replacing the entire starter will work but the problem today is the poor quality of over the counter replacement parts. The original starter is better quality than the one replacing it.

3b/ If voltage is low, like 3-7v the solenoid may not work on this signal to start or be intermittent.  This is caused by the wiring just being old. I doubt this is the case but check.

3c/ If the start signal is hit or miss 12v, sometimes it's there sometimes it isn't, then look at the ignition switch.

• 3 weeks later...