Time for some summer love: Help with ideas, parts and more..

Ianos

Hi All 

Id like to give the 620 some love this summer.. its pretty good but needs a few little finishing touches to really be 'perfect'.. 

one of my lovely hub caps got crushed after coming off the wheel and I'd like to find a replacement in as similar condition to the set as possible. They are all in excellent condition with no pitting or corrosion or dents - if anyone has one laying about in a garage, and would be willing to part with it - lets talk. 

Also - I noticed that the exterior trim on the drivers door, that the plastic/metal end piece is missing - it looks like it would have been riveted on at the factory.. im wondering if anyone might have an old door laying about with that part attached which they would be willing to sell. 

the interior is in nice condition generally however the carpets are the originals, and while nice to say they are original, they could do with replacing - are there any companies manufacturing carpet kits for 620 (king cabs)? also- both of the sun visions are missing their 'holders', the smaller plastic part which the visor is held in place by... again looking to find  pair in nice condition if anyone has a spare set

The clutch in the car works find but the release bearing has gone and it make a whirling, winding up noise when driving .. I spoke to a mechanic who said its find to drive with, its not damaging the trans or engine - but its something to get sorted - Im not at all familiar with what clutch sets are available for a 5 speed '79 620... if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. 

Worryingly, both my main beam lights have stopped working - main and highs - left and right.. they were both working find and then they weren't ... one went before the other but the second went soon after. My concern is that it might be the column stalk switch (from switching between high and main beams a lot on dark roads).. Im given all the wiring a look over, fuses etc, and nothing is out of the ordinary. . short of replacing both headlight units - Im wondering is there is a known common issue that others have experienced ? the low beams work perfectly. I've looked at wiring diagrams and checked against the car - all seems factory. Im going off now to buy a mulitmeter to see if there is power getting to the headlight at all.. but assuming there is power getting there - its either the no/off switch or the column high beam switch - and if the latter, Im pretty sure replacing that could be difficult.. love any and all input here as its my daily driver and I cant drive at night until this is sorted!! 

Lastly - this is not a major issue for now - but i notice that on full lock left or right there is a strange knocking sound coming from the wheel area, could be bushings or bearings or something - I dont have the tools to investigate.. but its something I'd like to investigate in time - again - if its bushings or tie rods or such, I can't imaging finding replacements being too simple - particularly in Europe.. 

I did drive the 620 from Ireland to Ibiza about 6 months ago - it never skipped a beat! hummed along the entire way.. I was majorly impressed by the little 2L engine.. smooth and you like.. its a great truck to have here, most of the roads are unpaved, boulders, dirt roads  - its flies up them without any issues at all...  if only I could get the cool air working.. 

Edited by Ianos
  • Ianos changed the title to Time for some summer love: Help with ideas, parts and more..
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic