Door glass weatherstripping

Socalman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should I use silicone when putting vent glass in? or just slide in without any? didn't seem to have anything on it, but then again, I also didn't have any window channel felt when I bought the truck either. 

The part # that mainer posted also has an application chart in it but it only lists cars, no trucks. It will still fit trucks but there is no measurement chart.

Length is 5,000 mm. should be enough to do most 4DR cars (and probably 2 trucks, unless I'm doing the work😆).

I have used both of the Datsport and the Nissan product. Both are quality and seem to hold up well.

• Thanks 1
On 1/24/2022 at 2:58 PM, Socalman said:

Should I use silicone when putting vent glass in? or just slide in without any? didn't seem to have anything on it, but then again, I also didn't have any window channel felt when I bought the truck either. 

I think you are asking about installing the GLASS here?  You do NOT need to use any RTV etc, unless you are re-using an old crusty seal that may not seal up properly.

The felt glass run channel was not "glued in" from the factory, but a few spots will not hurt.......don't over do it!  Once installed, get the glass back in & close the window overnight or so.........this will push the run channel in place & hold it.  This new run channel will change your world!! 😎

I bought the eBay run channel out of Thailand/Taiwan for my 521, but I have not installed it yet............

• Thanks 1

What about #60 what has everyone been replacing this with? it looks like it has weather-stripping to prevent water from entering door. picture does not show that though. kinda like butterflied rubber. mine felt apart pulling glass out. Thanks!

60 RUBBER-GLAZING
  80312-14800 T SERIES     2

Door glass rubber glazing_LI (2).jpg

Lemme see if I can help (or confuse the issue altogether).

In the catalog I have, the illustration prior to the one above, it shows part #80320-14800 for a quantity of 4. The illustration # is 51 and the section # is 64. I think these are what I would call the "sweeper weatherstrip" that attaches to the door to prevent water from entering the door. There is an inner and an outer.

The below pic is a 510 but shows the inner part that I am talking about. On the 510, the outer is attached to the belt moulding.

myCDAyY.jpg

This is what it looks like prior to installation. I got these through Datsport. Not sure if they cover the trucks but they could be measured and cut to fit (?)

mCfYUPJ.jpg

If you are looking for something to go in between the glass and the channel of the regulator (this is a vent window on a 1200 but same idea), like this....

jqUygNy.jpg

I used this stuff and it has been almost 6 years.

BRYp8xz.jpg

I cut it to length, folded it into a "U" shape and installed the glass in the channel. I do not recall if used any sort of adhesive or not.

X9BS3V1.jpg

After putting it all together, I just trimmed away the excess.

Hope this helps.

Edited by KELMO
Edit: the second pic is of the outer sweeper.
41 minutes ago, KELMO said:

Lemme see if I can help (or confuse the issue altogether).

In the catalog I have, the illustration prior to the one above, it shows part #80320-14800 for a quantity of 4. The illustration # is 51 and the section # is 64. I think these are what I would call the "sweeper weatherstrip" that attaches to the door to prevent water from entering the door. There is an inner and an outer.

The below pic is a 510 but shows the inner part that I am talking about. On the 510, the outer is attached to the belt moulding.

myCDAyY.jpg

This is what it looks like prior to installation. I got these through Datsport. Not sure if they cover the trucks but they could be measured and cut to fit (?)

mCfYUPJ.jpg

If you are looking for something to go in between the glass and the channel of the regulator (this is a vent window on a 1200 but same idea), like this....

jqUygNy.jpg

I used this stuff and it has been almost 6 years.

BRYp8xz.jpg

I cut it to length, folded it into a "U" shape and installed the glass in the channel. I do not recall if used any sort of adhesive or not.

X9BS3V1.jpg

After putting it all together, I just trimmed away the excess.

Hope this helps.

Sweet, I could try that, I had not seen the drawer liner without the perforated holes before. 

2 hours ago, Socalman said:

What about #60 what has everyone been replacing this with? it looks like it has weather-stripping to prevent water from entering door. picture does not show that though. kinda like butterflied rubber. mine felt apart pulling glass out. Thanks!

60 RUBBER-GLAZING

It's not weatherstripping, it just holds the glass in the regulator channel. Not sure what it was made out of, though. The window sweeps at the top of the door body on the 521 are fuzzy "brush" style weatherstrip

9 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

It's not weatherstripping, it just holds the glass in the regulator channel. Not sure what it was made out of, though. The window sweeps at the top of the door body on the 521 are fuzzy "brush" style weatherstrip

Mine had some type of weatherstripping, kinda mushroomed out the sides about an inch, that’s why I think it kept water out when rolled up. I’ll get a picture of the other side before breaking it down. 

E7EE97BA-81AA-424F-8FDA-6C3EEB4893FA.jpeg

4 hours ago, Socalman said:

60 RUBBER-GLAZING

For a 521?  Did the metal rail fall apart or did the rubber "seal" between the rail & the glass deteriorate, thus the glass pulled out of the rail?  If so, you can use any flat rubber strip that "sandwiches" the glass tightly in the rail..............you could even use an old tire inner tube if proper thickness, to hold tightly.  Cut a rough strip, sandwich together (maybe use a "mastic glue" like todays cars windshields??), then simply trim off excess rubber........??

wow! I finally get what you guys have been trying to tell me. Lol. Sorry. Lol. This is what I saw, I figured the black rubber picture was at a 45* so that when the window went up, it would block the water. But in actuality, it was probably it wasn’t trimmed to fit and over time it folded over. I can’t believe I’m so moronic…..

8874A3D2-0B48-481B-8749-14E4BE74AB44.jpeg

AE8B7491-1CEF-4FDF-9D9F-488EDC24076B.jpeg

The drawer liner is a Harbor Freight product. At least it was about 6 years ago.

I agree with Matt and the "fuzzy brush style weatherstrip". I looked at my 411 yesterday and that is what it looks like. Fairly sure the 520/521 and 410/411 have a lot of parts in common.

That metal piece at the bottom of the door glass that the roller on the window regulator hooks to is called the sash, and that rubber looking stuff that holds the glass to the sash is called window setting tape. As you figured out the setting tape is not a for sealing the door. If the window came out of the sash you should be able to get the setting tape at a automotive glass shop. If it hasn't come out I wouldn't mess with it.

Here is an article that gives the different names for automotive weatherstripping. https://blog.steelerubber.com/our-simple-guide-to-weatherstripping-terms/

• Thanks 1