Getting my sd22 720 started

637906BA-FB05-4B84-9676-39CB3691B80F.thumb.jpeg.90b6fe000987768941f6fc6b34551167.jpegWas running when purchased

retro fitted sd22 with 4x4

…. Has been troubled with reliable craftsmanship. 
trouble shooting why it won’t start… fuel filters, possibly 

The pump runs and the manual pump seems to be working and priming properly.

battery and starter are strong. Possibly glow plugs?

I am new to this game, but I know this rig will outlive me if I treat her right.

I am dedicated to learning out to set her up right and enjoy the Ratsun life.

please help.

After getting her started again, the next project will be deciding if I can replace engine gaskets on my own….

building a new wiring harness and dash board for the necessities.

Assessment of transmission as it gets stuck in reverse every know and then….

suspension

cosmetic

I would love some advice

lets start with trouble shooting why she stopped running.

it’s just happened one day after a drive.

all warmed up, and even with the use of glow plugs struggled to start.

how do I check for fuel line issues when I am by myself and can’t see when I turn the key?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wayno (on here) is the SD guy.

Why would you want to replace all gaskets? Only fix what's broken. If there is leakage of fuel or oil, degrease and watch for where it's coming from. Most likely place is a loose or bad valve cover gasket. It's intended to be often removed for servicing and any leak here will migrate down and all over the engine. Looks bad but is a simple fix. Again, don't cause yourself more work than necessary.

Love the diesel and always wondered why Nissan didn't offer it in the 4x4. Maybe too under powered?

Where did you buy this truck? Vancouver WA?

These SD series Diesel engines are not easy to start when it is cold outside, does it try to hit or does it just turn over without anything happening?

Why do you need a new wiring harness?

Have you changed the spin on fuel filter?

Exactly what does the glow plug light do when you turn the key on, does it come on and say on until it clicks, or does it flash and then go out, or does it not come on at all?

Does the injection pump control arm move when you try to start it, you will need someone you watch or turn the engine over while you watch, if it does not move or you cannot find anyone to help you then you will need to remove the oil light wire from the sender on the passenger side, it is the yellow wire with a green line, once that wire is removed then the injection pump controller should move to the run position when you turn the key on, if it does not move to the run position then tell me and we will figure it out and then move on from there, it has to move to the run position before it will start/run.

If the fuel filter is plugged, or the pre-filter is plugged, or if the screen in the banjo fitting on the bottom of the injection pump where the fuel hose is connected is plugged, the engine may try to start or briefly start and then die, I have had all this happen, I think the worst issue is when one puts a gas pre-filter on the truck thinking a new filter is good, but diesel cannot get thru a nice gas filter for long before the engine starts missing/loses power, you need a strainer for a pre-filter or a pre-filter made for diesel, I used cheap gas filters for a while and the diesel fuel could get thru them, but they did not even last for a year before collapsing, and I have heard of the filter guts(the paper part) getting sucked into the fuel line messing everything up.

Another thing to check is if the engine was put into a 4wd gas truck or if the truck had a 4wd front axle put under a diesel truck, if it was a 4wd truck then there is a filter back by the fuel tank/fuel pump, diesel in a gas type tank will likely work, but that fuel filter is likely a gas filter also and it needs to be replaced with a strainer or a diesel fuel filter.

Does it have a fuel pump back by the fuel tank, you say the pump runs so this makes me think it was a 4wd truck that had a diesel engine was installed.

People that do this kind of conversion generally don't sell them, but if they do the new owner does not have a clue unless it was sold to a friend that possibly helped with the conversion, these little SD22 engines are not very powerful and have a hard time with freeway speeds unless you like driving 55mph.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1