T3 Brake kit

JK510

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need '79-'83 280zx strut cores on top of this $1,200 kit. If you can find the 280zx struts why not just use those, with new caliper pads, and vented rotors?????? Look something like this...

JSWD92k.jpg

At the time all I could find were Maxima struts so I used them. New pads and rotors...

iu2VvTA.jpg

Maximas and 280zx cars are over 500 pounds heavier than a 510 so these will stop you very well. These will barely clear the stock 13" rim so check. You can grind the caliper for clearance. The $1,200 kit should clear no problem.

The zx strut does not just bolt in. You will need to convert to the 510 coil spring and smaller spring perches and top hats.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

You need '79-'83 280zx strut cores on top of this $1,200 kit. If you can find the 280zx struts why not just use those, with new caliper pads, and vented rotors?????? Look something like this...

At the time all I could find were Maxima struts so I used them. New pads and rotors...

Maximas and 280zx cars are over 500 pounds heavier than a 510 so these will stop you very well. These will barely clear the stock 13" rim so check. You can grind the caliper for clearance. The $1,200 kit should clear no problem.

The zx strut does not just bolt in. You will need to convert to the 510 coil spring and smaller spring perches and top hats.

Thanks Mike,

I have ZX struts already converted to coilovers, I could use these, but just liked the look of the wilwood kit... 🙂

IMG-0157-2.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, JK510 said:

Thanks Mike,

I have ZX struts already converted to coilovers, I could use these, but just liked the look of the wilwood kit... 🙂

IMG-0157-2.jpg

You can detail the crap out of a good set of ZX strut assemblies & brakes!  Buy new ZX brake rotors/discs, have powdercoated your choice of color, have a brake shop buzz off the powdercoating on the pad surface, leaving the rest colored including the vented areas.  Yes, most brake shops are willing to "cut" drilled and/or slotted rotors/discs, thus they should be able to buzz off the powdercoating!  There are caliper rebuilding services that will powdercoat calipers in your choice of colors, but a good coat of caliper paint works ok too, just doesn't hold up to the brake heat as well.  Powdercoat the strut tube assemblies.  Install new color coded coilover springs.  You can still buy the 280ZX grease caps, which come in yellow zinc.

Like Mike says, the ZX brakes on a 510 work very well!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I drove one car with them.  They pulsed like the rotors were warped.  Not sure if anyone else had that issue.  I know the guy who installed them and he's the best mechanic I know bar none.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 4:49 PM, JK510 said:

Thanks Mike,

IMG-0157-2.jpg

That’s what I did. Didn’t feel the need to upgrade to Willwood on a stock L18 engine street car. Standard set up is surely sufficient without a brake upgrade. 

Edited by Payco

Well 100 KPH is the same even if driving a GT-R or a Porsche. You still want to stop as fast as possible and I would rather stop faster than I  can accelerate. Tires have come a long way since '71 so I imagine the road grip is also improved and thus 280zx brakes will be an improvement in stopping time. Tires grip is really the limiting factor when stopping.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, Icehouse said:

I drove one car with them.  They pulsed like the rotors were warped.  Not sure if anyone else had that issue.  I know the guy who installed them and he's the best mechanic I know bar none.  

It was a chore to get them to replace the rotors. Made me video the measurements with the dial indicator to prove they were the problem. I had to include some snarky commentary lol

• Like 1

Some insight here.

First, nobody has mentioned that the ZX wheels bearings are much larger than the stock 510 bearings. I've had a stock 510 wheel bearing fail and almost lost the entire wheel during a race. So putting big brakes on a stock 510 strut is not the best choice.

Second, drilled and/or slotted rotors used with performance pads can get deposits on the rotor, causing them to feel like they are warped, when in fact, they are not. So unless they are actually measured for thickness variations and runout, calling them warped is not due diligence.

• Like 1

The 1200 all had small bearings. Different number so maybe smaller than the 510?

First year 610 also had the same 510 smaller bearings, '74 and up were larger, same as the 280zx.

The B210 had small from '74 but changed to larger in '76

The much later B-310 (210) all used the smaller 510 bearings.

The 710 all had the large bearings. I actually swapped '74 710 bearings onto my '84 Maxima struts.

• Like 2
On 3/12/2022 at 11:37 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Second, drilled and/or slotted rotors used with performance pads can get deposits on the rotor, causing them to feel like they are warped, when in fact, they are not. So unless they are actually measured for thickness variations and runout, calling them warped is not due diligence.

You nailed it on this one.  Most brake vibration is actually not due to "warping", but thickness variation of the rotor, as the clamping of the caliper piston to the rotor is affected by the surface of the rotor basically moving up and down (in and out?) in relation.

Learned that one early in my now-34 year QA engineer career.  Lots of contributory causes to this, including pad material and wear, rotor metallurgy, proper heat treatment, rust, heat dissipation (sizing and materials) and caliper mounting method.  

• Like 3
On 3/12/2022 at 8:37 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Some context is in order. I agree due diligence is important.

Forgot to mention they were brand new out of the box, and I had already measured them and swapped out hubs with some spares to make sure the measurements were the same.  This is my single experience with this kit so keep that in mind. I would imagine they are not all like that.

• Like 1