81 720 AWD WRX drivetrain

KurMot

Here’s the quick run down on what I’ve got so far 

Started with an 81 Datsun 720 diesel,

ZjKQg80.jpgcouldn’t get it running and after doing tons of research (not actually very much) found that there’s virtually no parts available for that truck

I had fallen in love with the truck and wanted to use it as a daily driver, snowboarding and getting around 

Figured the best thing to do would be a body swap onto a modern drivetrain 

in comes the 2004 Subaru WRX

HY5F3T5.jpg

Stripped the car down to this point

ENatEdC.jpg

Within a few days had the truck cab fitting where I wanted it. It looked great but was only sitting on wood blocks and straps holding it together. Now started the long journey of mounting it to this chassis. 

lpAk9JB.jpg

Now I had completely removed the structure of the WRX chassis and needed to strengthen it up, so I built an 8 point roll cage out of 1-3/4” DOM tubing

baBMMLn.jpg

HqlXGy7.jpg

Once the cage was fully welded I got the cowl all sorted out

I learnt that there’s is a tremendous amount of work in tying both the inner and outer cowls in

The hood is much longer on the Subaru than the truck so I was going to have to stretch it. As soon as I knew that I would be stretching it for sure I was going to try to emulate the Hakotoro Sunny truck and get the grill shape to look like the Hakosuka GTR

RcZFqVN.jpg

I really like the shape of the grill so far, and as far as the rust on the rest of the truck I thought that if I was to cut it all off and do a wide body like the Group B rally cars of the 80’s that’s be the simplest 

1MtjEoH.jpg

8xY3mUZ.jpg
I built a side skirt out that that same DOM tubing and the rear bumper 

DYd8Px4.jpg

Shortened the box by about 7”. It’s now wider than it is long, hahahaha 

0uvweG9.jpg

that’s where I am up to date, please let me know what you think so far 

• Like 3
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wholly shit how am I the first one to comment on this! this thing is going to be crazy! you are saving this old rusty truck and saving the good bits and your widebody setup looks like it eliminates most of the rusty areas, very innovative.. cant wait to see this thing in driving shape. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered when someone would do a WRX drivetrain swap. This is awesome. Keep up the good work! If you wouldn't mind showing some of the tools your using for the fab work that would be awesome too, since now you've got me considering this at some point!

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, ECS620 said:

I've always wondered when someone would do a WRX drivetrain swap. This is awesome. Keep up the good work! If you wouldn't mind showing some of the tools your using for the fab work that would be awesome too, since now you've got me considering this at some point!

Hey so as far as the tools, I’ve borrowed an 18” sheet metal Brake from a friend and I bought a little Magnum plasma torch. Other than that I’m using a Miller 250 mig welder and a shit ton of cutting discs, and I started using 36 grit sanding pads to grind and put the swirly marks on the metal. No fancy tools just lotsa hours. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve got it sprayed with a smoked clear coat. Putting all the interior parts together, covering the rear seat MDF with speaker carpet and I had to build a splice plate that took the Datsun defrost vents and attached them to the Subaru dash

https://i.imgur.com/zz2SxA0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pDBDJQ3.jpg

sorting out the headlights was challenging cause all my new lights are LED. Had to use 4 relays up front for the headlights and then solder in resistors on all 4 corners for the signal lights. I’ll take more pics here soon. Just taking it apart again cause I need to paint a few more places, inside doors and tailgate