wierd handling issues

well on the freeway, my car seems to want to go somewhere else besided my house because the car starts rocking from side to side at high speeds.

any help?

-my tires arent flat

-i have 2 new tires with different tread(almost identical though, just a newer version of the same tire)

-i dont know if the guys balanced it right.

right now i think it will probably be the balance issue

any help?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not good at guessing this stuff over the computer but what kinda tires? are they shitty ones? I've put cheapy tires on my car the end result was scary freeway driving. Are they on the front.

I have had the same problem most often its a crappy alignment, to much toe or it can be the tread pattern my old tires AVS 100s would track all over the place when the cars toe was f'd up fixing it helped but it still did it a bit, changed over to the falken rt615 no more problems

I too get erratic steering issues only seems to happen when I let go of the steering wheel, weird.. On a serious note... Have you checked you're TREs? Does the car follow paint lines real bad? If you momentarily let go of the steering wheel does it visibly vibrate or shake? Also, will the car hold a straight line on the road?

See if you can get us more details on the symptoms. Or try rotating the tires front to back and see if the problems moves to the rear or is gone.

Rocking from side to side? Tire imbalance won't do that. Poor alignment can cause it to track (wander) side to side. With radial tires and in-spec alignment, a stock 1200 tracks pretty good, as well as some new cars ... which isn't saying much. It does wander a bit.

Is your front sway bar still connected? Maybe that's the problem, it prevents sway.

-i have 2 new tires with different tread(almost identical though, just a newer version of the same tire)

-i dont know if the guys balanced it right.

could be the tread diff, but only minimal.

balance will be vibratations more than causing L<-->R pulling, which would be more indicative of worn parts - ball joints-tie rods-steering box-bearing(s), shocks or a combo of all of them...

Some questions to help us narrow it down: Did it start suddenly or gradually over time? Speed related? Road surface related (freeways usually have ruts wider than our 1200's track width)? Does applying brake pressure change anything? Does it corner normally? Let us know and might be able to figure this out. Let us know what you found if you solve it yourself.

it happened suddenly

affected by high speed

affected by road conditions

affected by braking

turning is wierd as well

strange thing is, when i filled up on gas today($15:D) the car didnt do it as much, seems like the added wheight helped it out...

also, this may or may not be important, when i changed the tires, i jacked it up on the diff, maybe something got loose, etc?

Edited by Moisabamf

Mo, get those tires the fuck off of that car and borrow another set. If the problem goes away you can safely say it was the tires.

If it does it with other tires then you need to sort out what is wrong quick. It could be a sign of a worsening problem.

im going to try what was suggested earlier

Or try rotating the tires front to back and see if the problems moves to the rear or is gone.

im pretty sure its going to be the alignment. i paid like 30 bucks and it took like 30 mins at a mom and pop place to get it aligned. imma have a look at the suspension tommorow, and then ill head off to alignment. the car was perfectly fine before replacing the tires, so im pretty sure the tires arent it, seeing as how the treads are 95% identical

Edited by datzenmike
the car was perfectly fine before replacing the tires, so im pretty sure the tires arent it, seeing as how the treads are 95% identical.

So the onset was when you replaced the tires and you think that is not where the problem lies? Doesn't make sense to me.

the car was perfectly fine before replacing the tires, so im pretty sure the tires arent it, seeing as how the treads are 95% identical

Umm.. really? I'm with Duke on this one.

I don't think you can even check an alignment in 30 min. let alone set it.

Does your car have a bunch of custom suspension components or is it all stock. If all stock all they can adjust is front toe. That's easily done in 30 minutes.

Take the guy for a 30 min ride and scare the shit out of him then tell him to fix it right. I don't think you can even check an alignment in 30 min. let alone set it.

i didnt write this!:confused:

also, when the tire was flat before i knew what was up, the car started fishtalining wildly on a turn, maybe that did something to it

like i said, tomorow ill do some diagnostics and narrow down the problem

Edited by Moisabamf