Datsun 521 carrier bearing replacement option

Crashtd420

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all of this guys. I’ll put it on my never ending list. 

Can you verify the thickness of each spacer that he ended up using? Realistically, those clips should not be removed. They likely retain the bearings into the rubber over molded part.

Edited by mainer311
45 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Thanks for all of this guys. I’ll put it on my never ending list. 

Can you verify the thickness of each spacer that he ended up using? Realistically, those clips should not be removed. They likely retain the bearings into the rubber over molded part.

He ended up leaving the 3/8 in and 1/8 on the back because he already pressed it on. he removed the 1/8 to get more threads for the nut but had to use a .050 on the back to give more clearance to the slinger...

I think you might even be able to put a 3/16 thick before and after or possibly 1/8 in the front with the 1/4 in the back.... the question is how close will the outer rubber be to the driveshaft...

The 1/4 in the front was the safe number.... 

As for the clip TSEKC said it took zero effort to remove it,  he did it with just his fingers, so it just about fell out... the bearing is actually pressed into a metal housing that the rubber holds on to, and he had to use his press to remove it....

We went back and forth on this a little but he said even if the bearing could move in the housing the clip wasnt doing anything to keep it in place...

I still think its possible to retain the clip if the spacer on the back is tall enough so It creates enough clearance for the flange end to be bolted up.... I don't have a picture of just that spline flange part so I'm not exactly sure the dimensions or how or what was actually hitting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I worry that the thinner wall tubing would squish over time and allow the bolts to become loose.

I can delete that.... 

This is the first time for this mod so please critique what we did to make this write up better....

So 3/16 wall square or solid block would be best......

• Like 1
17 hours ago, mainer311 said:

HAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness I got a sexy new 3.70 rear end and would probably do the carrier bearing at the same time so hook me up with two of them bad boys my good man.  Ill trade you a redeye trans mount for whenever you find a 5 speed trans.  

• Like 1