rethreading spark plug on engine block

Veraciousreasoning

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New M14 X 1.25 plugs spin them in by hand till seated and then tighten 1/2 turn. Done.

I place the plug in the socket with an extension line up and turn in by hand. Easier to estimate the entry angle to the threaded hole. Never force anything. Aluminum is soft and unforgiving. 

If you need to clean the threads, some gasoline on a q-tip held with pliers, it will wash the threads on the head.  Then a spark plug will be easier to insert without a handle on a socket extension, turning by hand.  Have a jar of gasoline to rinse the threads on the spark plug, and lightly brush them clean.  Mop up the face where the plug gaskets seat, as soil is attracted to the oil there.

I had the bad feeling of a stripped thread on my truck.  So, I just lightly seated it, as the 720 was needed for doing work.  Quite a bit later, the plug got loose, I noticed the gas mileage took a dive.  It turned out to be crud where the face of the plug gasket sits.  By this time, I had compressed air, and I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the threads and gaskets up.  Now, I can torque it in just fine, after seating it without using the handle on the socket extension.

If you do a HeliCoil with the head on, use axle grease to retrieve the metal chips - or so I've heard from others when I looked into it.

• Like 3
On 1/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, DIY 1985 said:

If you need to clean the threads, some gasoline on a q-tip held with pliers, it will wash the threads on the head.  Then a spark plug will be easier to insert without a handle on a socket extension, turning by hand.  Have a jar of gasoline to rinse the threads on the spark plug, and lightly brush them clean.  Mop up the face where the plug gaskets seat, as soil is attracted to the oil there.

I had the bad feeling of a stripped thread on my truck.  So, I just lightly seated it, as the 720 was needed for doing work.  Quite a bit later, the plug got loose, I noticed the gas mileage took a dive.  It turned out to be crud where the face of the plug gasket sits.  By this time, I had compressed air, and I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the threads and gaskets up.  Now, I can torque it in just fine, after seating it without using the handle on the socket extension.

If you do a HeliCoil with the head on, use axle grease to retrieve the metal chips - or so I've heard from others when I looked into it.

A pretty famous mechanic on youtube just turns the engine for a second with the spark plug out and it shoots right out of the hole lol 

• Like 1

Happened with my 96 Miata. Cyl 1 plug kept popping out so I tapped and did a helicoil. Nerve wracking but pretty easy. Bunch of metal shavings but I just left the plug out and ran it for 2 seconds with 3 cyl and it shot all the shavings out like a glitter bomb. Never had any issues with it by the time I sold it