Datsun AC systems worth it?

sick620

B210 I just inquired has factory AC with York compressor… it’s 100% complete, haven’t had a chance to test it cars been sitting 25 years… if everything functions I’m sure at the very least it needs seals and converted to r134… 1. Will I be able to find seals or anything the system need to make it work? 2. I’ve heard converting old systems they don’t really get that cold is that correct? 3. If I take out the system to sell it is anyone interested in it? 4. If I remove it the ac and heat controls are included together so I’ll need a new heater core with controls probably? 

3C41625A-1F85-44C6-8D09-1E373B3F453B.jpeg

image.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be valuable to someone with a B210 or an A motor, but other than that, not really. The A motor puts out so little HP that the draw from the AC would make me want to remove it, but then if you drive the car when it's hot out...

Upgrading to 134 is as simple as replacing the o-rings with proper o-rings, but on a system that has been empty for years, it would need at least a drier too. You are correct about not being as cold, but that's not because you're converting it. It's because 134 just isn't as efficient as R12.

You could always convert the compressor to a more efficient type, like a generic Sanden compressor. They are much smaller and more efficient.

I don't even see the compressor in the pic. Is it under the smog pump?

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It would be valuable to someone with a B210 or an A motor, but other than that, not really. The A motor puts out so little HP that the draw from the AC would make me want to remove it, but then if you drive the car when it's hot out...

Upgrading to 134 is as simple as replacing the o-rings with proper o-rings, but on a system that has been empty for years, it would need at least a drier too. You are correct about not being as cold, but that's not because you're converting it. It's because 134 just isn't as efficient as R12.

You could always convert the compressor to a more efficient type, like a generic Sanden compressor. They are much smaller and more efficient.

I don't even see the compressor in the pic. Is it under the smog pump?

Yes it’s under the smog pump… worth keeping the York compressor in case I ever want to use as an airpump for air ride, or a train horn or to be able to run air tools on the side of the road? Lol 

It gets damn hot here in NM in the summers. The problem I had with a r134 conversion was actually in the condenser. A condenser made for r12 doesn't disipate heat well enough for a R134 system. 

The conversion I did blew cold until I had to stop at a light. The fans, working perfectly, just weren't enough to pull the heat off the stock condenser. 

Edited by Oilspot