Mechanic in SoCal

JeromeD

Hi guys, I am looking for a mechanic in SoCal. My 720 from 85 has a couple of issues with what I believe is the electrical system and it started to idle wild/stall after I drove it for 1-2 hours. As I am traveling through the country I can’t really do anything myself and need a good knowledgeable mechanic. Any help is appreciated. Jerome

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Is the truck from California? California emissions carburetors are different from other states.

Are any of the relays under the dash buzzing? specially near the glove box.

Does the red alternator charge light flicker?

No I bought it in Canada. Well I have a relay clicking (auto choke relay) and with every click the red battery lights turns on but if I turn anything on, headlights for example, it stops. Also the radio started a high pitched noise when I am in no station that changes with the rpm. I have no idea if these things are related. 

Edited by JeromeD
Forgot something
14 hours ago, JeromeD said:

Hi guys, I am looking for a mechanic in SoCal. My 720 from 85 has a couple of issues with what I believe is the electrical system and it started to idle wild/stall after I drove it for 1-2 hours. As I am traveling through the country I can’t really do anything myself and need a good knowledgeable mechanic. Any help is appreciated. Jerome

hey! so im actually taking my 85 720 to my regular mechanic who used to do all the work on my honda. Ill let you know how he feels about working on it and send you his info if you are up for it, im down here in Los Angeles and hes located in the valley. im head over there today after work so ill update soon. outside of that my boss restores bugs for fun and im sure he has a good recommendation

3 hours ago, JeromeD said:

No I bought it in Canada. Well I have a relay clicking (auto choke relay) and with every click the red battery lights turns on but if I turn anything on, headlights for example, it stops. Also the radio started a high pitched noise when I am in no station that changes with the rpm. I have no idea if these things are related. 

If the choke heater relay is flickering on and off the choke heater won't stay hot enough to keep the choke all the way off. If the choke is partly on it will run poor, idle worse and give even worse gas mileage. In addition when the choke is on there is a fast idle feature, so this would explain the random high idle too.

Alternator light on and flickering choke heater relay is a sign that the alternator is not putting out enough voltage. Over 14 would be good. If you can find replacement brushes on line (about $5) this is far better than throwing away the stock alternator and putting a fail piece of shit re-manufactured one from China.

If you do go that route keep the original and have it rebuilt for when the other fails. I have no faith whatever in today's replacement auto parts.          

The intent of the relay is to use alternator output to keep the choke heater on. As long as engine is running (and charging) the choke will warm up and shut off normally. Lets suppose that you start your truck on a cold day and go back in to finish your coffee. Outside, for some reason the engine stalls. Without the relay, the choke would continue to warm and shut off while the engine remains stone cold at freezing. You go out and try to start it but without the choke on and no way to turn it on, you crank and crank and if you get it running the engine is cold and won't idle and if you drive it it runs like shit till warmed up.

Wow amazing info thanks for that! I have one of these voltmeters that plug into the cigarette lighter. I know it won’t give me the correct reading, but that thing tells me 12.3v while off and everything from 13.5 to 15.2 while running. But most of the time stays between 14.2 - 14.7. I actually thought of pulling the alternator in a napa parking lot and get a new one while there. The one that’s in it is a refurbished one I got in Canada about 3 years ago. I thought it would last way longer to be honest

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for helping me out here. I swapped the alternator and that took care of a lot of my problems. Might change the battery in the near future since it maybe took a hit from the faulty alternator. I still have a noise on the radio that concerns me a bit and backfires when going down the hill in gear…I guess I keep looking for answers.