Hitachi carburetor problem

jerryt

I have a two barrel hitachi carburetor on my l 1600 motor. The problem I have is the float sinks to the bottom of the carburetor. When I rebuilt the carb I turned the carburetor over and adjusted the float so it sits perpendicular to the carburetor. But when I went to bolt it to the manifold the float sat on the bottom of the carburetor. Also the gas leaks from the glass window at the bottom. Can I seal it wit a little rtv? And The other problem with the float do I need to change the float?
thanks

jerryt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the glass off and remove the 'rubber' seal. Make sure it is thoroughly clean and not split or cracked. If there is an iffy area try to place it near the top. Clean the receiving groove in the carburetor casting that the seal sits in. Spray carburetor cleaner and an old toothbrush or fine wire brush. I don't think RTV is totally resistant to gasoline. I know the rubber is square in cross section but I would try to match it to a round neoprene O ring from an auto supply store.

I think all the L carburetors have hollow brass floats. If brass it may have a leak. It fills and sinks. Lift it out and shake it. Hear anything sloshing around? Probably not too hard to empty and solder around the seam. The float should be set to horizontal in the float chamber if you hold the carburetor upside down and let it dangle.

Ok I will take off carburetor again. And invert it to see if I can get float to sit level. The float is neoprene on my car. As far as the rubber gasket if it’s torn could I use black rtv? And should I put a little rtv? The car runs if you put gas in the carburetor. But the float won’t fill with gas. Should pour fuel down the vent tubes?

thanks

jerryt

You could try RTV or maybe a sealer that is gasoline proof. Don't forget you are pretty much gluing the glass on and makes getting it off later without breaking it very hard. That's why a rubber ring is used.

I think carburetor, rubber gasket, glass, paper gasket, bezel and screws. The paper gasket is to form a cushion between glass and bezel. When screws are tightened the rubber gasket seals between glass and carburetor. I don't think the glass touches the carburetor.

Plastic float? I wonder is this is one of those knock off Chinese carburetors. The Nissan Hitachi carburetors are all hollow brass floats

Ok so rubber gasket. Glass then paper gasket and metal frame. The neoprene float is what came in carburetor. I don’t know history but I do agree it should be brass float. I will try again tomorrow.

thanks 

Jerry t

11 hours ago, jerryt said:

The car runs if you put gas in the carburetor. But the float won’t fill with gas. Should pour fuel down the vent tubes?

thanks

jerryt

Um... when the engine is turned with the starter the fuel pump should fill the carburetor if it is empty.

If lines are empty, it may take some time to draw fuel from the tank. Yes you could pour enough fuel down the vent tube to start the engine, This should suck up fuel quickly. If after running the engine and using all the fuel in the carburetor and it runs dry....

Pull hose off the carburetor and direct into a suitable container. Pull the coil wire off so engine cannot start. Use the starter to turn engine. What you should see after 4-5 seconds of turning is strong gushes of fuel coming out.

YES..... there is fuel coming out in strong pulses.

Problem with the carburetor not letting fuel in. Needle valve stuck closed, inlet screen in banjo fitting plugged...

NO...... no fuel showing.

Fuel delivery problem. Could be tank empty, fuel line blocked or crimped, fuel pump not working

I can believe that more than a failed pump.

jerryt..... try tapping the carburetor where the fuel line enters with a piece of 2x4. This may loosen a stuck needle valve and save you taking it off.

All of the suggestions are great. I thought of the low fuel volume this morning. I will take carburetor off. Invert it to see if float is perpendicular to bowl. I also will take off fuel line to see if I have fuel. I’m kind of leaning towards inlet banjo fitting is clogged. So first is to see if I have fuel. One other question is there a way to adjust the float by turning the needle and seat like on a Holley carburetor? 
thanks

jerry

Do the simple easy things first.

Check fuel pump output. If no fuel there is no sense taking the carburetor off just yet.

If there is fuel then tap the banjo fitting to dislodge the needle valve if possibly stuck. You can also remove the banjo fitting and unscrew the needle valve holder to manually fix a stuck valve.

You can check the fuel level by looking at the sight glass on the front of the carburetor. If low, take the glass off and bend the adjustment slightly so the float sits higher (level) when lifted with a pencil. All can be done without removing the carburetor.

Hi all. Well I took everyone advice and check for fuel. And guess what there was no fuel. So I blew out lines and hose’s. Let me give history on my car. It’s a 1926 ford with a l 16 engine. That’s why I ask a lot of questions on Datsun motor. Also I discovered a handle that you have to turn to allow fuel to flow. So now I have fuel in the bowl but it still leaks out of the sight glass. I put rubber gasket glass then paper gasket but it still leaks. Any suggestions on how to stop the leak? 
thanks

jerry

The part number is 16064-23010. You can try Nissan but not likely they still stock it.

Try an ad in our classifieds... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  ... 

Best bet is to take the old one for size, to any auto parts store and get a similar size neoprene 'O' ring

Well I finally found out my leaking problem. The bezel that bolts to the hitachi carburetor was bent at the bottom. I noticed it when I glanced at the carburetor from the side. I had to bend it to make it lie flat. After that it sealed. Thank you all for the help on my problem carburetor.

thanks

jerry

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Yes, original carburetors were made by Hitachi. There is no part number on it but I can look one up is you identify your truck model and confirm Federal or California emissions, Z24 or Z20 gas engine. The number isn't much use really except to Nissan.

If looking for rebuild kit just order by year, model and engine size. Check your emissions label should be federal. The kit is probably common to many years and models and is probably gaskets, an inlet needle valve and an accelerator pump. As a rule they mostly just need a good cleaning and setting to factory adjustments.