1974 620 timing degrees

Richie

8 minutes ago, Richie said:

The distributor wasn't advancing  at all when revved up. It was shown that the vacuum advance was also stuck or inoperative

my experience is that the dist was clocked installed off a tooth and its to one side where it cant go anymore and cuts out.

I had springs exploed and stuck vacuum advance and still run ok enough where the average Ratsuner might not know the difference.

Most of mine where the dist bushing wearing out causing the shaft to wiggle at higher speeds( or causing point bounce when I had points.

glad its working  get a spare dist where you can trouble shoot faster next time.

I always swap a dizzy and if no change I look at the carb(fuel delivery ) in most cases

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

my experience is that the dist was clocked installed off a tooth and its to one side where it cant go anymore and cuts out.

I had springs exploed and stuck vacuum advance and still run ok enough where the average Ratuner might now know the difference.

Most of mine where the dist bushing wearing out causing the shaft to wiggle at higher speeds( or causing point bounce when I had points.

glad its working  get a spare dist where you can trouble shoot faster next time.

I always swap a dizzy and if no change I look at the carb in most cases

Thank you for the help. Trying to find dizzy is pretty hard right. But i got another problem that decided to set me back. 1 step forward 100 steps back. My radiator became a sprinkler today. I posted a form just now. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Richie said:

Thank you for the help. Trying to find dizzy is pretty hard right. But i got another problem that decided to set me back. 1 step forward 100 steps back. My radiator became a sprinkler today. I posted a form just now. 

Get a timing light on there and check the timing before you damage the motor. Too much timing can cause piston rings to break and in extreme cases, rod bearing to get squished and fail.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Get a timing light on there and check the timing before you damage the motor. Too much timing can cause piston rings to break and in extreme cases, rod bearing to get squished and fail.

how many degress should i be looking at when the advance kicks in. I remember reading 8 degrees some where but i want to make sure. 

• Like 1

8 degrees with be the static advance. Static advance never changes and is always there

When revved up mechanical advance, varies with RPMs, and is added to the static advance. Mechanical advance begins just above idle speed and will max out at around 24 degrees before 3,000 RPMs for a total of 24 +8 = 32

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

8 degrees with be the static advance. Static advance never changes and is always there

When revved up mechanical advance, varies with RPMs, and is added to the static advance. Mechanical advance begins just above idle speed and will max out at around 24 degrees before 3,000 RPMs for a total of 24 +8 = 32

Thank you

• Like 1