74 620 how do you adjust the front drum brakes?

Richie

Hey, does anyone have a video or something that can help me with adjusting the front brakes on my 74 620? I just replaced the drums, shoes, and cylinder but the front passenger side will not spin like the other side. I can barely get the drum to fit over it. Thank you. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is an adjustment wheel accessed through the backing plate to the inside of the truck. It will have an oval rubber cover over it to keep water out. Pop it off and turn the star wheel upward to retract the shoes and downward to spread them. If rubber cover is missing the adjuster may be seized. Remove and spray adjuster with WD-40 and maybe some heat to loosen. Once clean, lube with lots of white lithium grease. 

Adjust brakes so the wheel drags slightly. Step on brake several times to center the adjuster and shoes so one shoe isn't doing all the work. Check and keep adjusting till there is slight drag spinning wheel by hand.

Brakes will usually improve as they 'wear in' so check your adjustment drag in a month or so. Remember over 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. Check and adjust them at least every 6 months.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There is an adjustment wheel accessed through the backing plate to the inside of the truck. It will have an oval rubber cover over it to keep water out. Pop it off and turn the star wheel upward to retract the shoes and downward to spread them. If rubber cover is missing the adjuster may be seized. Remove and spray adjuster with WD-40 and maybe some heat to loosen. Once clean, lube with lots of white lithium grease. 

Adjust brakes so the wheel drags slightly. Step on brake several times to center the adjuster and shoes so one shoe isn't doing all the work. Check and keep adjusting till there is slight drag spinning wheel by hand.

Brakes will usually improve as they 'wear in' so check your adjustment drag in a month or so. Remember over 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. Check and adjust them at least every 6 months.

well the damn thing was seized like crazy and it broke....do you know where i can order no ones with the clips?

Yeah I should have said to go easy on them. Heat to get them to wiggle back and forth, keep going with WD-40 and heat till unscrewed then liberally lube them with anti seize or lithium grease.

There are right and left side so be sure you get the right side. The good news is the rears will also work on the front. 41200-32200 is the right side part number.

'65-'69 520/521 front or rear

'70-'72 521 front or rear

'73-'77 620 front or rear

'77-'78 620 rear only

'80-'81.5 720 rear only, after this self adjusters were used.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Yeah I should have said to go easy on them. Heat to get them to wiggle back and forth, keep going with WD-40 and heat till unscrewed then liberally lube them with anti seize or lithium grease.

There are right and left side so be sure you get the right side. The good news is the rears will also work on the front. 41200-32200 is the right side part number.

'65-'69 520/521 front or rear

'70-'72 521 front or rear

'73-'77 620 front or rear

'77-'78 620 rear only

'80-'81.5 720 rear only, after this self adjusters were used.

i just went on a journey to find them in a shop, looks like its ebay for me. I am just gonna replace both of them. 

So i got the adjust parts today, bought them from ebay. I hate drum brakes already. First time dealing with them and holy crap trying to get the shoes over the hub is a mission.  Does anyone know where i can get the clips? Mine are bent. 

Edited by Richie

what I do on my 521 is pull the bearing nut and all that comes out of coarse.

I then clean the brake adjuster wheel by turing it till it threads out and clean threads with sovent ofyour choosing. then install it back together. I use soem anti seize. too much oil might colect the brake dust so Im not really sure what is best.

I then turn the adjuster all the way in,  make sure the brake wheel cylinder is squezzed togethe also but most like will anyway once you install the shoes.

I put the shoes down in left and right side. on the ground then I put the spring thru the holes  I then lift both shoes up ans put the fwd side on the grooves of the wheels cylinder and the lower adjust slot and then  clip the upper  then reef real hard to get the lower cliped on.  i then try to cent er the adjuster shoes back and forth till i get the drum on there.  soemtimes you have to wack the adjuster left and right. then but the drum back on. I then pull the drum back off anduse a big jawed plier to rotate the wheel to get tihter and put the drum on till you got most the slack out of it then put the drum on a final time then adjust useing the barke tool and adjust more slop out. I do about 3 clicks off of a good drag on the shoes.

One thing happen to me is I had a read brake adjuster go bad after I did a rear brakes. the adjuster spring clip in back was too loose which made the adjust float around too ez from side to side cause the brake to jam up and cook the rim. all I did was pull those spring clips out and rebend (or flipped them over)puts more tension the adjuster to plate harder to move I assume once installed drive fwd and back a few times and it will center.  I did put lithium grease on back to help it slide if needed

hope this helps

• Thanks 1
On 1/5/2022 at 9:30 AM, Richie said:

So i got the adjust parts today, bought them from ebay. I hate drum brakes already. First time dealing with them and holy crap trying to get the shoes over the hub is a mission.  Does anyone know where i can get the clips? Mine are bent. 

Do you have a brake tool they help get the springs off and on

What clips? a picture or 2 might also help

Brake tool

wmr-w175_yp_xl.jpg

• Thanks 1