Thomas Perkins

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/24/2021 at 12:00 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

Hi Ya'll.I am doing a survey to see what Spark plugs everyone is using and why.Also what kind of spark plug wires.Plus how do you clean them when they get dirty.Do ya'll like the copper ones,iridum or platinum..They sure have jacked the prices way up.

I'll always stick with the old-school copper.  OEM plugs were more than sufficient with the dual-spark on an '85.

I always use a socket with a rubber boot at the bottom of the well (a specific spark plug socket).

For cleaning, a $.79 black handle steel toothbrush from Harbor Freight, some 0000 steel wool, a small file set (used carefully, to remove caked carbon, like a dental scraper) gasoline (if caked in oil), compressed air to finish.  One of my favorite maintenance routines, for sure.  But, my 720 doesn't need it that much, it is pretty clean (rebuilt in '02).  If the plug can't be nearly seated without the ratchet on the socket, then use q-tips and gasoline to clean the threads on the head, and remove crud on the face of the head.  I suppose that I should check the gap, but, this method is really gentle, unlike a powered wire wheel, or whatever.  Maybe, I'll clean the wire side of the plug with steel wool too, as steel wool will make that shine too.

These images are on my 720 tailgate for my Toyota 2F with U-groove resistor plugs.  It needs it about twice a year, and I carry the above tools in my Ready Wares waxed canvass tool roll in both trucks, for the misfire that I will probably discover on the trail.

20211220_133937.thumb.jpg.a4593aada5dd0b2b3335706f85344342.jpg

20211220_134019.thumb.jpg.2d9befe0169178f237e1f41f0bb2de38.jpg

all cleaned up and ready to go.

20211220_140225.thumb.jpg.6dd980ba2741a36c484c68078e5a6e03.jpg

The 2 intake spark plugs number i1 and i2 by the Weber. It's a tight fit their.,I loosen the plugs then get a short spark plug wire and connect to the spark and loosen it rest of the way so I won't drop and use the spark wire to reinstall.I always start a plug by hand.Your method of cleaning is good.I use to use the enclosed sand blaster at work,but I no longer work in that shop.You can buy them little sandblaster things from Harbor freight,I have one,just connect your air compressor to it.Works good.I just installed Ngk Iridum plugs in mine,got from Rock Auto Parts at the closeout price last year,I think,they were 3 something a plug.My plugs are burning clean cause my Weber is tuned good.Is your's burning rich.I won't buy any more Iridum plugs cause they are too high dollar,just got them cause they were cheap,I also checked to make sure that they weren't the fake one's.Spark plugs at the local parts store have went up big time.3.99 for a copper Ngk.Dealer has them cheaper.Use to like going their to see the GTR'S,but they haven't had any their in along time,no more  Nismo 370z's on the lot either.The 400 z's will be out soon.Here's pic of my brother's 350z...He won a bid off of Ebay...Silver runs in our family..QQKr1ss.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1