Information regarding a factory LD28 with a Manual 5 speed

I'm writing this topic for anyone who is in need of some information regarding a factory 5 speed in a maxima with a ld28, and I am also writing this to see if anyone else had any information for this application. 

I dropped the transmission in my 82 maxima due to a failing throw-out bearing, and took my time to measure and document everything specific about a 5 speed behind a Ld28. I have a early 83' FSM that has diesel information, but is VERY lacking in information about the 5 speed options with a diesel, so I had to do alot of digging, and basically came up short. So below ill show everything I had found.

In the FSM, the Ld28 backed with a 5 speed, has a 225MM clutch and PP mount flywheel, specific for a LD28 (thick ass flywheel). AFAIK, any ld28 that is a INDUSTRIAL or boat engine, comes with a flywheel with a 240MM mount and clutch surface. (One of my spare ld28's was a industrial engine, possibly boat, and has this 240mm flywheel)

I removed the clutch and PP off of my maxima, measured it, and found it to be the exact same dimensions as a stock 280zx 225mm clutch and pressure plate. If a LD28 manual uses the same clutch and pressure plate as a 280zx, but has a thicker flywheel, that makes the throw-out collar a SPECIALTY part. 

r1g5n8m.jpeg

Here are the measurements of the throw-out collar that came off of the maxima, and I could not find ANY information online about this specific throw out collar.

AbU3D9z.jpeg

Lh7PiXF.jpeg

After ALOT of digging, I found that a throw out collar from a 1990-1996 NON turbo 300zx is a very similar looking part. So I ordered a NOS collar, and measured it as well, to find that it measured VERY close. So close, that it might as well be a "superseded" part from nissan. 

(The silver marker is the 300zx Collar measurements) The design of the part is different in some areas, but I believe the part is close enough to work, or can be modified slightly if need be. I re-used my old collar, with a new bearing as I did not get the 300zx collar quick enough to do a side by side comparison or use the new collar in the car, but may try it later.

rxtkpLm.jpeg

I do not own a 82 maxima Parts catalog, and cannot find anyone who has one, so finding the actual part number for a 1982 maxima diesel 5 speed throw out collar, is basically impossible. This is the closest I could find so far. 

Here is the transmission mount that came off of my diesel maxima. Its a complicated 3 piece design, that is kind of similar to the 260/280 and 280zx 2+2 crossmember, but uses more parts. It uses a standard transmission mount, attached to this specialty dual bushing crossmember. If anyone knows of any other model that has a similar crossmember, I'd appreciate the information, as I'd love to get new trans bushings. 

XlI8xAl.jpeg

This is the middle driveshaft and carrier bearing/bushing off of the diesel maxima.

4pQvXPG.jpeg

Clutch hydraulics! The Maxima diesel with a 5 speed utilizes a Clutch Damper to "soften the clutch feel" and is a part that is NLA AFAIK. The 300zx (z32) uses a very similar looking part (It could be the same part) but is about 150$ new from Nissan. It is commonly bypassed by the 300zx group, due to it failing, or for a better clutch feel. In fear of it failing after 230,000 miles, I also bypassed it. It was a very simple procedure, using a 10mm brake line union, reusing a line off of the damper, and a longer soft line from a front brake hose off a 620. 

0XbVSMU.jpeg

If anyone has any other information regarding a 5 speed diesel maxima, please post here for anyone else who may be in need of information. And for me please 🙂

This here is a question to all of yall. Has anyone on here used the superseded throw out bearing part #30502-69F10 in their datsun transmissions?? This is the superseded part of the old Nissan throw out bearing, and the design of the part looks to be different than the old bearings. Id prefer to stick to Nissan factory parts if I could. 

WoPVnpY.jpeg

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 speed appears to be the same as the L24 gas engine. Same gearing also.

Clutch damper also used on the 720 with 240mm clutches and just as useless, usually thrown away. Has a 'rubber' puck inside that compresses to 'soften the pedal.'

The 30502-69F10 release bearing is used on Pathfinder, Hardbody, Xterra and 350z in or around 2000.

30210- Y0100 225mm 400kg clamping force pressure plate is the same as used on the ...

'75-'79 620

'80-'82 L20B and Z22 gas engine 720s.

'82-'83 S110 200sx Z22 engine.

Yes the rubber bushing transmission mount is similar in design to the S30 and S130 but appears to be cast into the metal on the Maxima and replaced as an assy. The extra rubber is for sound and vibration isolation on a 'luxury car'. The replaceable  240/260/280z and 280zx rubber bushings are 11345-N300 and $15? each if they are available, and if they will fit.