91 Nissan Urvan Z24 just picked up! 😃🚐

richURVAN

Hey folks I just picked up this Van and I've been checking it over the past few days . . . 

It has an overheating issue which I'm in the process of diagnosing / repairing already with the help of this forum.

There are some other things I've noticed on the engine that don't look quite right, here's some pics below;

Vaccum Chamber on side of dizzy doesn't have a wire connection?

IMG-3933.jpg

Elec wire to dizzy frayed, and I traced that hard pipe back across the engine to a rubber hose which is just cut?

IMG-3941.jpg

Elec wire to temp gauge probe on top of thermostat housing is a bit frayed? Occasionally both the temp gauge and fuel gauge will completely drop out not sure if this is the cause.

IMG-3936.jpg

Some sort of heat transfer case/pipe on top of the exhaust manifold to a hole in the side of the engine bay, can't see it would do an awful lot? 

IMG-3942.jpg

Two holes on inlet hose to airbox both plugged up? I'm just guessing but should one of them be the be for crankcase oil breather hose and then maybe the smaller hole is for an air sensor of some sort? 

IMG-3947.jpg

Could this be the crankcase oil breather hose that's been cut and plugged up? Pic taken from bottom of engine on the inlet side. 

IMG-3987.jpg

Hopefully most of these are 'improvements' done by the previous owners! 

Appreciate any advice.

Ta,

Rich 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First is this an EFI engine or carburetor? Does the air filter have one (carburetor) or two (electro-injection) butterflies holding it on???  

I see you have a 4 wire distributor, so is it points or electronic?

IMG-3933.jpg

More important is the vacuum advance does not appear to be hooked up. Should connect to a metal tube going over to the intake side.

IMG-3941.jpg

Is this the wire that was on the distributor?? That is the ground for it. Get one of these...

Baomain Red Female Insulated Spade Wire Connector 3/16'' Electrical Crimp Terminal 22-16 AWG 4.8 x 0.5mm Pack of 100

Do same with the temperature sender. Keep in mind that there are 2 temperature senders/sensors on an EFI engine and only one on a carburetor engine.

IMG-3936.jpg

IMG-3942.jpg

Warmed air from the hot exhaust is usually mixed with cooler outside air as part of the ATV (airt temperature control) system and used mostly on carburetor engines and why I asked if this was an EFI engine. Is it???

Can't tell where this is, got picture from farther back??

IMG-3987.jpg

Hey Mike,

Thanks again buddy!

It's def carby. Can I also assume it has points ignition then? If not I'll double check tomo when I'm back with the Van.

Will also take a few clearer pics of the underside and that plugged up hose. 

That one that Mike wanted a farther back pic looks like a water connector but also looks to be coming out of the block. So it could also be crank vent.

If this is a GC22 van, I would think Z24 but in 1991? Probably not.

Can we get what type of motor this ride has?

12 hours ago, KELMO said:

That one that Mike wanted a farther back pic looks like a water connector but also looks to be coming out of the block. So it could also be crank vent.

If this is a GC22 van, I would think Z24 but in 1991? Probably not.

Can we get what type of motor this ride has?

Yeah I looked a few times from bottom and top and couldn't suss exactly where it was coming from, somewhere below the inlet manifold . . . 

It's a 91 Nissan Urvan with the Z24 5 Sp Manual.  I'll upload another pic further back for Mike. 

This is the best I could do . . . 

After another inspection I think it's coming out the bottom of the intake manifold (which the carb is bolted on top), and I traced one of the pipes to the front grille where I assume it goes up to the heater core, so must be a water valve/junction? 

IMG-4017.jpg

IMG-4018.jpg

IMG-4020.jpg

My thoughts too. It's on the intake manifold bottom. The intake has coolant circulating out of the head along each runner and out that fitting and eventually down to the lower radiator hose where it enters back into the water pump. It should also have a hose going to the heater core.

The block vent is on the opposite side behind the exhaust manifold and has a metal pipe running around behind the head to the PCV valve on the intake.

18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

My thoughts too. It's on the intake manifold bottom. The intake has coolant circulating out of the head along each runner and out that fitting and eventually down to the lower radiator hose where it enters back into the water pump. It should also have a hose going to the heater core.

The block vent is on the opposite side behind the exhaust manifold and has a metal pipe running around behind the head to the PCV valve on the intake.

Aha got ya, and yes there is one hose going back to the lower rad junction and one to the heater core. Where that third hose is meant to go who knows? 

Found the block vent on the other side as well, perhaps after the PCV there should be a hose returning to the air inlet hose to plug in that hole? Where exactly is the PCV on these any ideas? 

The PCV valve is mounted in the intake manifold on the valve cover side of the carburetor. Intake vacuum draws fumes out of the crankcase by a one way valve in the PCV valve. Air that replaces air drawn into the PCV valve is piped from the air filter to the valve cover by a rubber hose. It's a closed system. 

There's coolant in that plugged hose. I don't know where it goes. Can't find it on the N American Vanette (it was only around 3? years.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The PCV valve is mounted in the intake manifold on the valve cover side of the carburetor. Intake vacuum draws fumes out of the crankcase by a one way valve in the PCV valve. Air that replaces air drawn into the PCV valve is piped from the air filter to the valve cover by a rubber hose. It's a closed system. 

There's coolant in that plugged hose. I don't know where it goes. Can't find it on the N American Vanette (it was only around 3? years.

I would of thought the Vanette & Urvan would be similar. I can only guess that it was a coolant feed to either the EGR valve or IACV which has been bypassed or removed 🤷‍♂️

The vacuum advance and the EGR are ported vacuum sources on the carburetor. Both feed through a T V V (thermal vacuum valve) that when cold leaks air from the air filter into the hoses and destroys the vacuum. When the coolant warms up the T V V closes the leak and vacuum is sent to the vacuum advance and to the EGR thus these can only work when the engine is warm. The T V V is on the intake manifold and screws into the water jacket there.

X 3 Port Brown Thermal Vacuum Valve TVV Ported Vacuum Switch PVS 81-83  Datsun 720 Pickup Z22 14890-10W00 - VINTAGE DATSUN AND NISSAN PARTS