Introduction

What’s up everybody! 

just here to introduce myself and give a little back story. 

been a long time 510 admirer and have wanted one forever, like most of us I’d think. Anyway I come from being into gc/gf chassis Subarus and then into first ten toyota pickups. Currently own a well built 1981 Toyota off-road rig. And now I’m the proud owner of a 1972 Datsun 510 4 door. 

I have been searching for years for a 510. All over the states and have had a substantial amount of money in my “510 fund” for the last few years. Well, dreams come true and sometimes better than expected. I received my ‘72 for free. Spotted one in a field near my house and asked the owner what they’d take and like something out of a movie he said if I came and got it, that it’s mine for free! What luck! 

Plans for it are to get it running. Upgrade the brakes and suspension and some decent wheels and tires. Later I’ll do a manual swap, haven’t decided on a 4 or 5 speed yet. But I’d like to keep the l16 and possibly build it, since I’m familiar with the Toyota 22r I feel confident in wrenching on this similar type engine. End goal is a really fun street car and possibly 2-4 track days a year. 

any help and advice is greatly appreciated in future posts/questions! 

-Sampson 

• Like 2
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to Ratsun. The 510 is well represented here.

Rather than posting pages of advice perhaps you could supply some guidance and questions as to your end game on the 510? For example 4 or 5 speed? If you drive on the highway a lot, an over drive 5 speed is an option but if just around town it won't get used much. A five speed does not make a car faster it just lowers the cruise speed RPMs a little. If later you might want an L20B (the L16's bigger brother) a 71B 5 speed is stronger as it was intended for a six cylinder car. To get what you want you must dove tail many improvements together. I agree that brake, suspension and tires have come a long way since the early 70s and best to sort this first. Anyway good luck with your new acquisition.  

• Like 1