Locking gas caps.

Thomas Perkins

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I just got a new locking gas cap.I replaced the old one in March 2021 with a metal slant one.It was not sealing.So I put a new plastic one  on from Autozone.I had one before and it lasted a long time.The metal ones as they say are out dated and newer vehicles have plastic one's.What is ya'lls take.

The main thing is that it seals. I’ve had vehicles in California that failed due to faulty gas caps. Our trucks aren’t new so I don’t think it matters too much if we use metal or plastic.

The old style metal cap will sandwich the rubber between the tank and the cap.

Do the new plastic caps still have a rubber seal and preform the same function?

If so it shouldn’t make a difference.

It does make a difference...They don't put metal gas caps on new cars...look at these caps.None are metal..My metal one didn't last a year..https://www.autoguide.com/best-gas-caps. Remember back in the day like the 70's.Lawn mowers had steel gas caps with a piece of cork on the inside.We used the steel  Snappers..Check this out...https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Briggs-Stratton-298425-Metal-Gas-Cap-Fuel-Tank-Vintage-Mower-Engine-493982-/163911511782.My first job at the age of 13,was working for my dad after he retired from the army in 1974.We worked at the condo's keeping the landscape looking good.I went to school and worked 40 hours a week and played baseball.My brother did too.Minimum wage was 2.00 bucks an hour.I bought dirt bikes,my first car at 15.A 69 chevelle with a 327,4 speed with 411 rear end for 750 bucks from a soldier at Ft.Benning,Ga.The hot rod days...

Edited by Thomas Perkins