Power Steering belt pulley tensioner.

Thomas Perkins

Hi Ya'll.On my way to work this morning to make the best and only printing plates made in America.Yes we are the last company in the great U.S.A. still standing.Bet no one know's what company I work for.I've been there for 29 great years and still not the C.E.O.But any way who cares.I heard a noise under the hood.and thought,Am I fixing to be walking.When I got to the first red light and started to turn.I didn't have any power steering.I got happy and thought,oh we'll, power steering belt broke.Also had my eyes on the temperature gauge and it was in the normal spot.Then I turned up 38 Special,wild eyed Southern boys and got to work.I opened the hood to see the Power Steering pulley tensioner gone.I was thinking,someone done stole it.But not really.Then I seen the belt laying under the fan.So I removed the belt and it was not broken,It is a gates 9463 belt,The best you can get with a high price to go with it.But it was damaged a little.Then After my first break at 9,I looked again and found the pulley under the radiator,got lucky and no damage to the fan blade or radiator.I put this pulley on over 20 years ago and it was from the Nissan Dealer here.So I called my friend at Nissan here in Columbus and he ordered me one and said it will be here at 9 in the morning,then I will go by Oreilly's and get another Gates belt,they are 27.99.The pulley was 82 bucks.I was lucky that Nissan still has them.The adjuster comes with it.Which means I now will have a extra adjuster,old one is still good.I also replaced the A.C. belt tensioner one too long ago...

100_8972.jpg

100_8978.jpg

100_8980.jpg

100_8973.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was no way to just put a bearing on it cause the inner part and the outer part was destroyed.Look at the picture.The inside part has a thick washer and a cover.The outside has a cover with the nut.I've done this 20 years ago.I now have a brand new OEM Nissan part on it.I also painted the bracket the same color  as it was from the  Tennessee plant.and put a new Gates belt on it.I just got finished with it a few minutes ago.Check it out...When I started doing this,I dropped my camera and the battery fell out and I had to put the date in and I put the wrong date in.Check out the new part.No way to just put a bearing on it with out the covers and the thick washer. 

100_8999.jpg

100_8998.jpg

100_9007.jpg

100_9001.jpg

100_9003.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

I drove it a day without the pulley and belt on and was hoping that it wouldn't mess anything up.It wasn't hard to steer.When I got home yesterday from the Nissan dealer with the part.I popped the hood to let cool down and notice that power steering fluid did back out of the reservoir and was over the engine a little.I wiped it up and just got home from worked today and it is doing great and not a drop anywhere.I did replace the high pressure hose back in 95,got it from NAPA.Nissan wanted over 200 bucks back then and got it from NAPA for a 100.Nice to hear from you Butter fingers.I bought a gas pedal and brake and clutch pad less than a year ago from Ebay and the gas pedal pad is coming apart.Hard to find them,so I ordered another set from the same guy on Ebay.After I put new gaskets on the Weber,I decided to check the gas pedal play and the throttle cable connected to it and seen the pad is falling apart.I also had to take the air filter off and spray WD-40 on the choke lever and shaft assembly,it was sticking,had to do that last time,remember this if you have a Weber and put  new gaskets on it.I have a boat load of Weber 32/36 Gaskets,if you need some,let me know,I will send you some for free.I also have a shipful of gasket material to if you need some to make other gaskets,it is good and thick.The best price for a Pioneer throttle cable is from Autozone.Got mine their.Plus Ngk wires from their have a lifetime warranty.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

As long as the pulley itself is not damaged, you can replace the bearing. Remove the snap ring and drive out the outer race. Remove the nut from the adjuster and remove the inner race. Get a replacement bearing, I think it’s a 6203, should be on the outer race and use a vice to drive it back in. Put the snap ring back in and reinstall on the adjuster.

What up NC85ST.Wow,My dad is from Lenoir,N.C.Right up the road from you.He joined the army and ended up at Fort Benning,Ga.We use to go to Lenoir back in the 70's to visit family.My brother and I back in 76 went riding around there and found a game room.We went  inside and hit jack pot,a foosball table.We started playing,then a bunch of people came in and put their quarters on the table and we ended up playing for hours.It was a quarter a game,after the first game the machine was dropping the balls without putting a quarter in it and I was loading my pockets with quarters,we never lost.We ended up leaving as Champs of Lenoir.Back here in Columbus,Ga.foosball was the game to play.I seen a special not long ago on ESPN on the history of foosball.But that game has died,can't find foosball tables no more.Did you play.But anyway,The pulley is good,it's a oem Nissan part.It just needs a new bearing,but the bad part is that the covers for pulleys are no more..That is why I decided to just get a complete assembly from the dealer,only took a day.I didn't want the headache of searching.Just putting a bearing in would of not fixed my problem.If you want the pulley,just pay for shipping and it is your's,you can have the adjuster piece too.The inner and outer cover that goes on the pulley was completely shredded,I threw them pieces away.But you can rig it up to work.On Your's you would just need a new bearing to make pulley work.Nissan Dealer here can get parts in a day if they are still available.Here is what is left.It was a bitch to tighten the lock nut cause of the fan shroud.Without  the covers,dirt and whatever will get into the bearings and cause it to lock up.

100_9010.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

100_8972.jpg

You took this off. Was it loose?

Looks like the inner race of the bearing. Probably wore overheated and came apart. I would expect it would have made some noise first. Bearings are that way.

Also looks like the clutch fan bearing..

3BrHMDI.jpg

It wasn't loose.It made a little noise on the way to work a few times,the first noise is when I left my drive way going maybe 20 mph.I though a rock hit my truck from running over it.Then when I was  on the highway doing about 55 mph,I heard another noise but not loud,but I do have my music loud.it was a short noise.The nut holding it on was real tight,I took the whole bracket off to get everything together.I put it on a table vise to get the nut loose.I never found the bearings,found some other ring parts,I even took off the skid plate.The dust covers were gone.That's why I had to buy the whole assembly.I am going to have to buy a fan blade soon,it has a lot of little cranks in it.I replaced it long ago,it was rubbing at the bottom on the fan shroud.I use 2 cable ties to hold at the bottom of the fan shroud to keep it from moving around.it shows where it has hit the bottom of the fan shroud.I guess it vibrates and the fan hits it,At the bottom of the fan shroud is a hole,made that way,and I put a couple of cable ties in their and connect to frame to hold down.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • 1 year later...