Project Tallhoe - 1971 IH Travelall

15 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Time Lapse welder cam is good. 

Is the music YT basic?

Thanks Matt.  Yeah, all the music is from the YouTube music library except a couple songs here and there.  There a couple I have searched out specifically (like the 2001 Space Odyssey theme) and a couple others that came with the editing app I use.  But overall 90% of the music if YT.

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

I'm digging all of it. I notice your edits seem to get a little more creative as you go along. I dig the time lapse stuff mostly.

Only thing I would maybe suggest is to try and keep it around 10min, but I know you're making good use of the time. 👍

Thanks DF.  I think I could shorten the videos some by blathering on less, but, as with my written posts, I tend wax verbose. 😄  I'm following suit as best I can to my favorite channels (those being Halfass Kustoms, Homebuilt by Jeff, DD Speedshop, Fritzee's Fabrications).  I like watching the long format videos because they include enough I can learn from them as they go, and the time lapses are slow enough I can understand what they are doing.  I want to share enough info people can use it, not just be entertained by it?  I don't know if I am achieving that goal, but that is my target.

What kind of content would be entertaining to you in a 10 minute format?  Little talking, lots of timelapse just seeing stuff getting done?  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Thanks DF.  I think I could shorten the videos some by blathering on less, but, as with my written posts, I tend wax verbose. 😄  I'm following suit as best I can to my favorite channels (those being Halfass Kustoms, Homebuilt by Jeff, DD Speedshop, Fritzee's Fabrications).  I like watching the long format videos because they include enough I can learn from them as they go, and the time lapses are slow enough I can understand what they are doing.  I want to share enough info people can use it, not just be entertained by it?  I don't know if I am achieving that goal, but that is my target.

To be honest, now that you mention that, yeah. 20 minutes seems to be the go to. Just don't be like Puddin's Fab Shop and start posting hour long videos...  😋

19 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

What kind of content would be entertaining to you in a 10 minute format?  Little talking, lots of timelapse just seeing stuff getting done?  

The only thing I would suggest for yours, really think about what you want to say on camera before, and be willing to shoot it multiple times. I noticed Homebuilt by Jeff started doing this and it made a real difference (IMO). I am the worst offender when it comes to rambling, so if I have to speak on camera I will shoot it 5 times until there are no pauses, no rambles, and I can say it quickly and clearly. Obviously you can't script it ahead of time for what you are doing, though. 

And this may just be me? I do consume a lot of YT content, in fact it's probably 80-90% of my TV time these days (about 2-3 hours a day). And when I follow two dozen builders who all post 20,30, 40 minute videos I just can't watch as many as I'd like to. And some of them could cut a little more out without sacrificing quality or quantity. 

For example, B is For Build. Great channel and content. Had to stop watching his videos because it's 40% him rambling about stuff for a lot longer than he needs to. 

But I really enjoy your videos, and whatever keeps you motivated to do them should be your main concern. Not me. 👍

• Like 1

Thank you very much for taking the time to type that all out.  You make a very good point about Homebuilt.  Its one I've been thinking over.  I'm not the biggest fan of my own intros.  I think you are right that there is a lot of value to be gained by improving those.  I will be doing some thinking about this.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 20 - A and B pillars are basically done for passenger side.  I love how the door shuts now.  It just sounds solid, which is enough to help me believe it actually is solid.

Edited by Lockleaf
  • Like 1

Episode 21 - Front Passenger door frame is finally done.  This feels like a milestone, just because I can check off a box on one whole "part" of the build.  Now to get that pesky rear quarter and wheel arch figured out so I can finish the rear door frame.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to move the Tallhoe out to do some cleaning.  So I decided to build a pipe anvil, improve the brake more, and sheet my workbench in some heftier metal.  No Tallhoe action this week.

Edited by Lockleaf
  • Like 2

Episode 22 - I had to build a new welding cart, and after that, finally figuring out new wheel Arch to replace the rust and absence of a wheel Arch I currently have on the back.

• Like 2

Episode 24 - Custom built lower rear quarter for the passenger side.  With this finished the exterior rust repair on the passenger side is done.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bought a 1969 travelall with very little rust and have been wondering the possibility of doing this. Definitely following!

What do you think it would have cost to have a shop do this?

If you were to go the full route I did, keeping the modern floorpan, I think a well done job will take well over 100 hours to complete.  Figure a body shop will charge $100 an hour, you are looking at an easy $10K base minimum.  I think it could easily cost even more.