Project Tallhoe - 1971 IH Travelall

I've posted a little about this in my Sundry Funs thread, but I've decided to launch an exclusive thread just for this project.

1971 IH Travelall 1110.  I will be mating it to the floor/firewall/chassis of a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with 5.3/4L60E.  

Being the trend whore that I am, I am going to attempt to make a youtube channel out of this.

So - Introducing..........  ME!

Like, Comment, Subscribe, whatever.  I don't really know how this crap works.  Tips and thoughts are appreciated, as I actually want to produce entertaining content.  My goal is to put out a video at least every 2 weeks, though it would be great if I could generate enough content for a video a week.  But I'm not confident that will happen consistently.

I want the amalgamation to be operational, even if not completed, by May 1st next year.  Maybe rust won't be repaired, or all the welding finished or something, but I want to be driving this beast around the streets on May 1.  We will see how this goes.

Return here for future updates!

• Like 2
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By wheelbase and length, they are longer than a Tahoe (I plan on moving the rear axle assembly) but they are shorter than a suburban.  If you take a comparable 1971 Suburban, the Travelall is smaller.  But its quite a bit longer than the Tahoe.  

EDMs comment made me want to double check the sizes of the two vehicles.

Heres a comparison of the size info

Tahoe

image.png.f3e2c5417d31763da4de87ecf4fb8bf4.png

Travelall

image.png.97a3bd04ea30c432799892a2a7df6a4a.png

Travelall is 3 inches longer in stock wheelbase and 6(ish) inches longer in body and bumper.  Its much closer to the the Tahoe size than I remembered.  I was thinking the T-All was much more in the middle of Tahoe and Suburban, instead of pretty darn close to the Tahoe size.  There is a good chance that I may move the axle back an extra inch or two, because stock, the rear axle seems to sit forward of middle of the wheel well.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:31 PM, Lockleaf said:

double check the sizes of the two

NIce - is closer in size than I would have expected. Perhaps it was just the pure boxiness of the T-all (or the fact I was but a wee kid back then) that made it look so damn big.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 8.  The two have become one.  Ok, so the two kinda look like they might be one.  30 odd test fits over the firewall etc. is all it took to get them fitting decently well together 😄

• Like 2

Cool video.  Thanks!  It might be I can use a lot of their idea along with the idea I have been looking at.

I've been considering how I'm going to deal with fender lips in general.  I have to work on all 4.  The front 2 because they are so high and forward.  The rear two, well, because they pretty much don't exist anymore. Travelall patch panels aren't made for the rear fenders.  And I don't think I love the stock look so much that I am willing to hand build those rear fenders from scratch.

So I've been thinking that 68-72 chevy's might be my answer. 

1968-72-GMC-1968-Chevy-Front-Fender-Pass

There are problems with going that route though.  Largest, the body line.  Travelalls don't have that, so I would still have to basically hand build the flare down below that body line in order to delete said body line.  Also, this naturally causes the vehicle to look more like a suburban and less like the IH. 

On the pro side, these are more circular than the teardrop front Travelall fender shape, which I like more.  Plus meaty metal flare which is always a win in my book.  Also old panels are highly available and new panels aren't crazy expensive, so collecting 4 of them wouldn't be the most expensive idea in the world.

I've also been thinking that maybe when I do the fender arches, the front will obviously come down quite a bit, but I might also raise the rears a little and have them all come level at some happy medium?  Who knows.  Until I have fender arches to hold up on the body, no final decision will be made.  A good buddy of mine has a couple of these laying around, so I will likely buy one from him and use that to figure out what I'm doing.

Edited by Lockleaf
  • Like 1

On the trucks, you only get the top half that I can find.    Like this,

SHI-897-59L.jpg

But since I have to do a lot of hand work to build the lower arch anyway, maybe its not really adding that much work, and saving a whole ton of money?

For kicks and giggles just now I did this rather bad photochop.  It gives the vibe though, and I am thinking I like it.  The rear is basically exactly where it is stock, but on the front I brought the arch down some.  I do like the flares, and the more symmetric front and rear wheel wells is something I like.  It doesn't feel likes its lost much of its Corbinderness either.  Pretty sure when I get to wheel arches, first step will be getting that fender from my friend and locking this idea in completely.

1971-international-travelall suburban arches.jpg

Edited by Lockleaf

Heres another rough photo chop.  I relocated the front wheel and arch what I estimate to be 3-4 inches.  I still think it looks just fine.

Original wheel location, lowered suburban wheel arch

1971-international-travelall suburban arches.jpg

Relocated location for wheel arch, suburban wheel arch

1971-international-travelall suburban arches relocated front wheel.jpg

Edited by Lockleaf

Pretty sure the chevy arches are happening.  But we aren't there yet,

For now, starting some sheet metal repairs that should be done before I permanently mount the body to the chassispan.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 10 - Sheet metal welding continues on both Tahoe and Travelall as I finalize everything necessary before welding them together. Let me know if you guys like things like Welder Cam.  I want to include fun shots and such, but won't know if they are good unless somebody tells me.

Edited by Lockleaf
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Episode 10 - Sheet metal welding continues on both Tahoe and Travelall as I finalize everything necessary before welding them together. Let me know if you guys like things like Welder Cam.  I want to include fun shots and such, but won't know if they are good unless somebody tells me.

I'm digging all of it. I notice your edits seem to get a little more creative as you go along. I dig the time lapse stuff mostly.

Only thing I would maybe suggest is to try and keep it around 10min, but I know you're making good use of the time. 👍

• Like 2