Relocated Fuel Tank.

weldingrod

Have an 85 720 4x4 I am going to make into a bush buggy, remove the box, install a deck, install shorter springs and cut about 3 feet off the frame. The fuel tank will be installed in the deck; just wondering if there would be any potential problems with the fuel tank relocation, eg syphoning, etc.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KC, reg or long bed truck?

Don't cut the springs. Cut the frame off behind the stock springs and remove some frame behind the transfer case.

Not sure if gas can be pushed through an electric fuel pump but either way the carburetor inlet valve can restrain 3-4 PSI fuel pressure. Maybe more.

There shouldn't be any problems with the relocation.  As long as the pump is below the tank level and still close by, it should not have any more trouble pulling fluid from there than it does in the stock setup. If you are unsure of anything placement wise, then just try to keep the pump in the same place relative to the tank that it is now when you move (or replace) the fuel tank.

26 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

KC, reg or long bed truck?

Don't cut the springs. Cut the frame off behind the stock springs and remove some frame behind the transfer case.

Not sure if gas can be pushed through an electric fuel pump but either way the carburetor inlet valve can restrain 3-4 PSI fuel pressure. Maybe more.

Kingcab. Someone has already done a redneck welding shortening of the box. Not cutting the springs, replacing with a shorter set, 5leaf stack from a trailer.

23 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

There shouldn't be any problems with the relocation.  As long as the pump is below the tank level and still close by, it should not have any more trouble pulling fluid from there than it does in the stock setup. If you are unsure of anything placement wise, then just try to keep the pump in the same place relative to the tank that it is now when you move (or replace) the fuel tank.

Just now, weldingrod said:

Kingcab. Someone has already done a redneck welding shortening of the box. Not cutting the springs, replacing with a shorter set, 5leaf stack from a trailer.

OK. Was just worried that part of  the tank would be higher than the carb and might supply enough pressure when full to be more than carb inlet valve would handle. could always install a shut off valve, I guess.

You would have to have the tank up pretty high to have that much of the tank above carb float level.  If you put a flat bed on at the stock bed height, you should still be a fair distance below float bowl height, meaning you could run a decently tall tank and still remain below the height of the float bowl.

Also, I don't have any idea if that is an issue with electric pumps.  I'm not sure how much a good pump will allow fuel to bleed past it from gravity.  Could be you are totally correct.

Gasoline weighs 46.75 pounds per cubic foot. Divide by 144 gives .3246 pounds per square inch for a column 12" tall. To get a pressure of 3.246 pounds you'd need a column 10X higher. And that would just barely equal what the electric pump makes.

Forget about it GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Forgetaboutit

• Like 1

Damn! Didn't know you were going to get all mathematical on me but as long as the answer is something I can live with then I am happy- thank you very much. Deck plate will sit on the existing box pedestals and the tank will sit in the deck, attached by the original bolts to the deck so at least half the tank will be below the deck level so I guess that will give me an extra margin. Pictures will be forthcoming when I start the project, have to change right front axle on my 84 daily driver first then find the coolant leak on the 91 D21 then the project will commence.

• Like 1