misfire/rich on cold start

CEAZERKHAN

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back fire through the carburetor??? Probably from a lean condition. Cold engines like a rich mixture because cold air doesn't evaporate the gas droplets very well. This is why carburetors have a choke. Sounds like yours may not be working.

When the engine is cold from over night. Take the top of the air filter and look down inside.

The choke flap should be mostly open like this...

Qml955T.jpg

Have someone step down on the gas a couple of times. The choke should instantly snap closed like this...

L043Tu4.jpg

Does it???

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Back fire through the carburetor??? Probably from a lean condition. Cold engines like a rich mixture because cold air doesn't evaporate the gas droplets very well. This is why carburetors have a choke. Sounds like yours may not be working.

When the engine is cold from over night. Take the top of the air filter and look down inside.

The choke flap should be mostly open like this...

Qml955T.jpg

Have someone step down on the gas a couple of times. The choke should instantly snap closed like this...

L043Tu4.jpg

Does it???

i will have to see in the morning, there's no back fire through the carb. ill update if the flap closes or not tomorrow...

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Miss fire, (sorry) still, probably the choke either set too lean or not working. 

well i was able to quickly check this morning, took off the top of the air cleaner and looked down in there and the flap was open so i pumped the gas a couple times and it closed, I (currently) dont daily it so i had no time to start and see if it helped or stayed shut. will have to check better later today when in not on a time crunch. 

24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It will likely open slightly once started, that's normal. The idle should also be faster reducing as the engine warms up.

By loosening 3 screws the choke heater is adjustable to make richer or leaner.

3amNNxv.jpg

ill have to start tinkering on it when i get home later👍

On 11/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, datzenmike said:

Note where it is so you can go back. Try slightly richer. The engine should also rev up to a faster idle.

its fixed now, there were some lines that got unplugged, got some fresh lines and tighten down some bolts that shouldn't of been that loose, but it runs perfect now, thank you for all the help!👍