74 620 Turn signal switch

Richie

Hey, 

I am having some trouble figuring out which wire goes where on the turn signal.

1. Which wire is the wire that powers the switch

2. Which wire is the Right Turn signal 

3. Which wire is the Left Turn signal 

4. Which wires are supposed to be the breaks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '73 and '74 switches are the same. '75-'77 are the same and '78-'79 are the same

The turn signal has no power to it. It merely connects the flasher unit to either the Left or the Right side bulbs and through them to ground to light them.

Spade connector?

Horn.... Light/Green

Separate bullet connector....

The 1 terminal, joins the flasher unit to the switch... Green

Plastic connector....

The 2 terminal joins the brake signal to L & R tail lights .... Green Yellow

The 3 terminal joins front left hand signals to the switch .... Green/Red

The 4 terminal joins front right hand signals to the switch .... Green/Black

The 5 terminal joins the rear left hand signals to the switch .... Light Green/Red

The 6 terminal joins the rear right hand signals to the switch .... Light Green/Black

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The '73 and '74 switches are the same. '75-'77 are the same and '78-'79 are the same

The turn signal has no power to it. It merely connects the flasher unit to either the Left or the Right side bulbs and through them to ground to light them.

Spade connector?

Horn.... Light/Green

Plastic connector....

The 5 terminal joins the rear left hand signals to the switch .... Light Green/Red

The 6 terminal joins the rear right hand signals to the switch .... Light Green/Black

Thank you. See that is what my diagram that i have says, but my wires are all faded, and i have a black red wire just floating there.

Is the Black/Red cut or does it have a plug pr terminal on the end???

Check your ignition switch plug. You can pull the plug off without taking the clam shell apart I think. Look at the wires, there should be a Black/Red one on it. This is the start signal going to the coil to give 12v during START. It will probably start with the ballast resister voltage but will start better with a full 12v to the coil.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is the Black/Red cut or does it have a plug pr terminal on the end???

Check your ignition switch plug. You can pull the plug off without taking the clam shell apart I think. Look at the wires, there should be a Black/Red one on it. This is the start signal going to the coil to give 12v during START. It will probably start with the ballast resister voltage but will start better with a full 12v to the coil.

I am using an aftermarket harness, I am connecting the original switch to it. 

On 11/12/2021 at 1:02 PM, datzenmike said:

The Black/Red is from your new harness?

nah, ill take a picture and post it later. Its just a black and red wire just floating there, not even attached to anything.  Thanks for your help mike. I am gonna rewire the switch according to what you post. Because right now they work fine, I have the flasher wire in the spade connecter spot right now, but that is incorrect. 

Edited by Richie
On 11/14/2021 at 4:36 PM, datzenmike said:

If your ignition has a warning buzzer to warn that the key is in when you open the door to get out.... those has a small red and black wires to the ignition switch cylinder.

https://imgur.com/a/LaEHEqL

So right now I have my turn flasher hooked up to the only spade connector that was on the switch originally. The signals all work so far but i figure out the brake lights. Mike would you like me to send you a picture of the 12 circuit wire harness I am using? Thank you for your help. 

30 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Brake lights use the same Light Green/Red (left) and Light Green/Black (right) wires and bulbs. The turn signal switch disconnects the brake to the side selected in order for that side to flash independently.

how are the brights wired? Someone told me that they are wired in the switch when you pull the handle forward. Also any idea what the red and black wire is?

Edited by Richie

I forget which way turns the high beams on. Forwards???? I know it sounds weird but the 'at rest' or off position of the relay is HIGH beams. To select LOW beams the switch grounds the coil in the relay, energizing it, and turning the relay ON. Relay ON is low beams, relay off is high beams.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I forget which way turns the high beams on. Forwards???? I know it sounds weird but the 'at rest' or off position of the relay is HIGH beams. To select LOW beams the switch grounds the coil in the relay, energizing it, and turning the relay ON. Relay ON is low beams, relay off is high beams.

That make sense, i just didnt know that. I tried to run a test lamp on it to see if any of the wires have power when i move the handle forward or back, and none of them have power. It might be because i have the switch wiring wrong maybe.....

The switch goes to ground. The power to the relay is provided by the parking lamps in the ON position and the switch simply grounds the other side of the coil to energize it. Naturally if your parking light fuse blows you are stuck on HIGH beams because this is the off position of the relay.

17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The switch goes to ground. The power to the relay is provided by the parking lamps in the ON position and the switch simply grounds the other side of the coil to energize it. Naturally if your parking light fuse blows you are stuck on HIGH beams because this is the off position of the relay.

I am gonna work on it this weekend. I just have to wire up the back and no more wires!

Also, what kind of connectors are used to secure the wires on the fuel sending unit? I know they are prongs, but I dont have the original pigtail.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:35 PM, datzenmike said:

Hey Mike, I got the lights and signals working. My dumbass had the front right and rear right mixed up, so when i hit the break the front right signal was solid. Thanks again

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, datzenmike said:

Spade connector?

Horn.... Light/Green

Plastic connector....

Hey mike, I have a question about the turn signal switch. What is the point of having the lever move forward and backward? if it is for high beams, what wiring would that be connected to? I have 8 wires on my switch like how you stated above. 

back toward driver is low beams,  forward for high beams.

Blue/Green goes to the horn button and to ground to turn the horn relay on.

Green connects the turn signal switch back to the flasher unit.

Red/Yellow is the dimmer switch to ground to turn the headlight relay on

Green/Black connects the Front Right turn signal and the FR dash turn light

Green/Red connects the Front Left turn signal and the FL dash turn light.

Green/Yellow brings the STOP signal to be distributed

LightGreen/Black is the Right Rear turn signal

LightGreen/Red is the Left Rear turn signal

• Thanks 1