Repair/Replace the temp gauge. 1970/R1600

Mspencer

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the gas gauge working? These are run off the same voltage regulator so if gas not working then probably the mechanical voltage regulator that supplies them. 

If just the temperature gauge find the sender, probably near the thermostat housing. Usually a Yellow/White stripe wire. Disconnect and touch the end to ground. The gauge should go all the way to HOT. If it does then the gauge is OK. If it still doesn't move then the wire may be broken or the gauge is bad.

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is the gas gauge working? These are run off the same voltage regulator so if gas not working then probably the mechanical voltage regulator that supplies them. 

If just the temperature gauge find the sender, probably near the thermostat housing. Usually a Yellow/White stripe wire. Disconnect and touch the end to ground. The gauge should go all the way to HOT. If it does then the gauge is OK. If it still doesn't move then the wire may be broken or the gauge is bad.

Looks like the previous owner replaced the sending unit, i traced the wire "new" to a temp aftermarket gauge up in the dash, it doesn't work either. I did find the yellow wire that was disconnected on the drivers side fender. i grounded it and nothing on the gauge in fact i don't even see the needle! So i guess its broken. I expect the replacement is hard to find and very expensive.