Resurrecting old Datsun

Hello All -

My grandfather had a 72 620 and a 69 510 Wagon. They have been sitting for awhile I would say over twenty years here at my place. 

I have been tinkering with them and getting them to run and really enjoy it.

I started thinking why not find and fix find some older Datsun that need some love get them up and running cleaned up and sold.

I have looked on market place, bring a trailer and craigslist and see that the prices are up there. I guess my question are they actually selling though. I'm trying to figure out my break even points.

I know there a lot of variables for this question. 

somethings to take into consideration is I live in Northern California near Redding.  I'm going to focus on 75 and older vehicles. my goals is just get them up and running and resold nothing supper fancy to start with.

Thank you

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a harsh reality but if expecting to make money forget it. You'll get maybe 2/3 (usually less) of what you spent building them if you pay yourself nothing for all the time spent working on it. Datsun owners tend to like keeping their Datsuns running and building them. Too much goes into them to sell them. Money spent is considered a 'fun tax'. Sell as they are to someone who wants to build their own.

• Like 2

Don’t get me wrong money not bad but I’m not looking to get rich. first looking to learn and hopefully get enough to support the next rescue.

then maybe start doing little mods here and there and grow from that point.

I got a three bay shop a lathe, shaper and mill to play with.

was even thinking of making some YouTube videos for fun

just something to do beside watching TV.

• Like 1

Maybe consider an expensive option.  Set up a preservation group Ala Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome in New York.  Advertise tours of restoration area and put on periodic drive ins and shows to promote the antique auto experience. [and preserve the tax advantages].  Think outside the box.