3.0 V-6 using coolant

I've got a '96 Villager...a rebadged Quest, that is using antifreeze. I thought that it was a headgasket. But, today I used a Block-Testor on it, nothing (one of those guizmos that you push down on the radiator and it is supposed to change colors if hydro-carbons are present....no color change).

There is no water on the ground and I can't find any leakage around the motor and/or radiator and no smell of leakage and no antifreeze in the oil and no oil in the water.

This makes me wonder...does a 3.0 have any places, in the intake, that could possibly leak coolant in to the intake and then burn it.

Any other possibilities?
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Stinky said:

This makes me wonder...does a 3.0 have any places, in the intake, that could possibly leak coolant in to the intake and then burn it.

Any other possibilities?

1/ A leaking head gasket may not present with coolant in the oil. Only an excessive amount of coolant will get past the rings and into the oil. If you think about it there really is no way for oil to get into the coolant. A small leak may just steam and go right out the exhaust. Pull the plugs. If only one plug or two adjacent plugs it's likely a head gasket going.

2/ I think the VG30i has an external coolant line to the throttle body. When coolant is ingested the water turns to steam, and high temperature and pressure steam is like a power washer. It will clean carbon and deposits off the combustion chamber including the spark plugs*. Pull and keep track of all the plugs. How clean are they? If all are suspiciously clean, maybe this is why.

Have a look into the throttle chamber and see if there is any coolant.

* AKA a Tijuana tune up. Old engines are run till very hot, revved up and tap water trickled into the carburetor. The sudden cooling effect turning the coolant to steam shocks and cracks the carbon and deposits loosening them from the combustion chambers and valves and blows it out the exhaust.

So.... it is a leak then. Often had to find.

lLV5Ohh.jpg

Probably leaking from the weep hole on the underside. This happens when the seal fails. Water can get out rather than seizing the bearing. It's presumed that the driver will find this and replace it before that happens.